The Girl with the Glasgow Grin

I see the monument in the distance
And a blossom blooms in my brain.
My feet stop dead in their tracks,
Omniscient of the lots around them.
January shivers down my spine,
Unlocking a memory I want to forget;
But I see her face every-time.
She has no name.
They call her The Girl with the Glasgow Grin.

My heart beats heavy
When I think of her.
I see her:
Her laugh, her fear, her plea;
A life clipped short.
But they don't care;
She's a present to them, a mystery wrapped in enigma,
Just as the Wolf-Man sent.
She is more to me, a part of me.
Why? Why do I feel this horrific bond?
I never knew her.
I never knew The Girl with the Glasgow Grin.

My eyes haven't tricked me, time has.
I see her there, lying among the clumps of brown grass,
Arms beckoning in false exaltation,
Her dreams eaten by weeds.
The curls of her black petals,
Burnt wisps in stagnant air.
Warm skin melted to ivory;
Translucent eyes turned opaque.
They rejoice at the sight of her, the Fiends!
This is all she is to them:
The Girl with the Glasgow Grin.

They like to gossip
And libel her.
She's the gutter w*****, the flashy escort, the exotic temptress.
She's divided, stem cut.
The flower preserved in perversity,
The roots tainted by noir.
But I see her unscathed:
Sweet.
Kind.
Naïve.
Lost, trying to find her way.
What have they done to you?
You are more than what they have made you.
You are more than The Girl with the Glasgow Grin.

I know the truth
But I am just one.
I can't stop them. They won't listen.
They need only what the Wolf-Man has given.
I want to tell her it's not her fault.
I want to tell her it's okay.
But she can't hear me;
She's a memory now,
Silenced in a world where she can not speak,
Can not feel,
Can not cry her liquid tears.
What about me? I come back to myself.
I should be moving on, yet I linger
So that I might catch a glimpse
Of The Girl with the Glasgow Grin.

luvmeformeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 12 at 4:24 pm:
thats amazing.. you did an awesome job.. i wish i was as good as you :)

Elizabethany said...
Mar. 9 at 6:43 am:
Why Glasgow?

demonkittyx_oThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 26 at 12:03 pm:
Good lord, I Love this! <3 This is amazing for not writing in so long, you have a gift and I'm looking forward to see more.

Authorintraining88This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 16 at 6:25 pm:
ahh I love this! So beautifuly written!

LifeLeaderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 30 at 6:27 pm:
I can't believe this is the first poem you have written in 6 years! You have real talent and a gift! Please keep writing!

carpets said...
Jan. 27 at 6:04 pm:
This is truelly an amazing work, you have a gift, all throughout this website I see talent but I felt trully compelled to comment on this one. I look so forward to seeing if you post at all soon, but i surly hope you do.

monkeyluvs2write said...
Jan. 18 at 5:08 pm:
This is a really good piece of poetry for someone who hasn't written in six years. You truly have a talent, and I'm glad that I came across this poem today. It's poems like these that inspire me to keep writing. If you have time please check some of my writings as well

MyWriteOrDie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:09 am:
Is it just me or this is about Black Dahlia? At least that's the vibe I'm getting. Congrats on a truly awe-inspiring poem. I think I love it..

Elizabeth-of-rohanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:41 am:
I love when I read poems that aren't just rhyming words put together, but that are stories.  This is a story, and a beautiful one. Thank you for sharing. 

DemonAngel said...
Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:10 am:
Honestly, I am not usually one to comment, but I love the way you wrote this. It is so personal and heartfelt. I love the word choice and, well just everything about it. I have signed up to be email notified when you post more. I beg of yu to please post more :)

JuandelaCruzThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:05 am:
I love the way you wrote this poem...it was so emotional and sincere......please continue writing. I will spend my time reading for your poems. : )

Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:03 am:
i love the way you write......it was so emotional and sincere......please continue writing. I will spend my time reading for your poems. : )

DreamsOfGoldThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Today I was in chat thinking, "Who was this? This person who had such amazing poems?". I...couldn't even remember your name (shamefully), then someone looked up this piece (after I told them what it was, cuz I would NEVER forget this wonderful piece!) and when I saw your name--it just clicked! I'm sorry I forgot you! I hope you continue writing! You're an amazing poet! Never give up! ~Love, Goldie

NickyJ replied...
Aug. 6, 2012 at 6:45 pm :
I don't really know what to say...

Well, I have not logged on this site in a few months. I felt like I was getting nothing out of it, like there wasn't really anyone on here who cared that much for it make a difference. So I just kinda stopped checking up on here. As of then, I have been on a different site (my opinion better) which has really been good for me.

I remember you, and I'm really happy that you told me this. I got an email because of it, otherwis... (more »)

bcw095 said...
May 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm:
Wonderful images that leave an impact. Bravo on your writing. When my pieces are published online, consider reading a few!

NickyJ replied...
Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:04 am :
Thank you very much for the read and the kind words. I'll be sure to check out your stuff :)

MonicaSkittles said...
Very very good!!!!!

NickyJ replied...
Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm :
Thank You!

DanielM. said...
That was amazing. Great Job!! i really enjoyed the message that your putting towards. Awesome Message. Please don't stop writing your an awesome writer. And you have talent. Remember that okay.

NickyJ replied...
Apr. 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm :
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it x]