Doll House

There they are with their porcelain faces
Beauty, perfection, pretending to be
Full lips and big eyes, no insecurity
So much better they are, than me

They sit on their little plastic chairs
And wear beautiful, gossamer gowns
Hollow heads and empty brains
And nothing, by them, will be found

With their hourglass curves and their
Sweetly betraying, innocent voices
They are forever the lovely ones
Nature frees them from making choices

And on their plastic table, in front of them
Is a shiny, bright silver platter
Because they're entitled, it's handed to them
And all else ceases to matter

And society encourages them
Set their faces on glossed over pages
And I tear myself up, meek as a mouse

I guess we're all subject to the doll house

Chichot123 said...
May 5, 2013 at 7:04 am
Amazing images! I loved the lines "Full lips and big eyes, no insecurity. So much better than me." Every teen can relate to that part of the poem. I loved it!

wordnerd54 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a great poem!  The imagery is awesome... I think because your choice of words is unique.  I love the overall idea of the "doll house" and I especially love their "sweetly betraying, innocent voices."  That line just gives me chills; it's great!

Laugh-it-OutThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow great job. I love the imagry and all of the meatphors and just everything. Perfect.

LexusMarieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Hello there. You have a lot of talent as it so clearly shows in this poem. Free verse poems are all so unqiue and  the beauty in the work is the writer. I love the title, it's very mysterious. It has open perspective for the reader. I really, really liked the picture you chose to go with this! The rhymes are solid, good job on that. I like your word choices, 'porcelain', 'insecurity', 'gossamer', 'innocent', 'entitled', 'society'. Those ar... (more »)

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is fantastic. Literally no criticisms. I love the imagery, the idea, the language, the way you said it... stellar work.

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:10 am
Refreshing use of rhyme here! Especially how you put a couplet at the end, which expresses finality well. I feel that "meek as a mouse" was a little cliche, and the "nothing, by them to be found" to feel a little forced, but I like the subject and I think you addressed it well.

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Thank you! And although it says, "And nothing, by them, will be found", I understand what you mean.

Kiki_McGee said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:54 am
Great job! The imagery was great, the message spot on, and the wording was perfect (although I would work on some of the punctuation)!

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Thank you! (: What would you suggest I work on?

dreamsandthings This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amazing language and word choice!

softballbabe2014 said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 11:29 am
(: I absolutely love it and agree!

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Thank you! (:

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 7:25 am
I like the point addressed with this poem, especially the last line. You made the dolls seem like sirens or bewitching beings or something. The word choice was inspiring also~ 5/5 from me!

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Thank you!!

BluBliss said...
I love the tone of this poem. I especially enjoyed the lines "i tear myself up, meek as a mouse/ i guess we're all subject to the dollhouse." and "nature frees them from making choices." And with the silver-platter pointout, that was nice. good job.

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Thank you so much! (:

J-Poetry-R said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 10:51 am
really like the point and the style used, word choice great. An all round good poem. Let me know of any more work to check out

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Thank you! (:

Alexandrathepoet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this poem it's tremendous, and I am also a fan of owl city, keep writing!

JustAnotherOwl replied...
Thank you so much! (: