Birthday Candles

The three decker cake stood before me on the table
All thirteen candles lit and waiting,

The wax melting and fading,
And the base plunged into the goodness of vanilla icing

As the spotlight birthday song continued to be sung.
Once it’s over, the candles seem to get brighter,

Smiles seem to get wider,
And the balloons seem to get lighter

As I stare at the round, sugary cake.
I can feel everybody’s eyes on me,
Beckoning my wish to come and blow out the candles,

So that the mocking cake can be devoured.
I can’t think of my wish or how to put it in words;
I feel pressured with all the family’s and camera’s eyes

Poised on me with expectance.
The icing covered cake sweats on the table,

And within seconds I make up my mind
I take a deep breath and blow 12 flaming candles out

And on the 13th I whisper softly,
'I blew out my birthday candles

And wished for you.'

Allia822 said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:52 pm:
I really enjoyed this. It's a cool and new perspective.

JaneCapelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm :
thank you :)

josika said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:16 am:
pretty poem! very well written. 5/5 from me

Feb. 3, 2012 at 9:56 pm :
thanks! :D

emru4534 said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm:
I really loved this...the ending was so cute!

Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:23 pm :
thanks! :D

HopefullyTrue said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm:
i really liked this poem. It was very well written and gives many details that helped me enjoy it. I cant wait to read more of your work. would you mind reading my poem live and die i would really apprishate it. Thanks for putting up so an awsome poem.

Feb. 2, 2012 at 5:52 pm :
Thank you sooo much!! :D pleeease do read some more of my work-- i could really use the feedback! =) and nope, i dont mind :) i will read it asap...or right now :P

willowtreegirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm:
I really enjoyed reading this! I had no idea where it was going at first and when I read the end I was pretty amazed by how you lead up to that. thanks for inspiring me.

Feb. 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm :
thank you sooo much!! :D i am really glad i inspired someone =)

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Good poem, I especially like the ending, a little twist

Feb. 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm :
thanks! =)

Skyeblu said...
Wonderful imagery! I could really picture the scene. It was a really good read:)

Feb. 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm :
thank you! :)

alexiswillshine said...
I really like this! Can you rate and/or comment some of my work? thanks(: you are amazing! love this poem.

Feb. 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm :
thanks! :D and sure! i will asap =)

camille_1441 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Good imagery, the poem is sweet but I think since the poem was about wishing for someone it might have been good to describe what you were feeling about wishing for that person rather then describing the party although you described it beautifully.

Jan. 29, 2012 at 3:27 pm :
I wrote it that way because i wanted it to be a surprise at the end that i wished for someone. I actually showed it to that person, and so all the describing the party made it totally unexpected that i'd wish for them in the end. =) but thanks!

EmmettLaFave said...
Awesome poem. Very unique, I've never read anything in this particular mood, and its very refreshing. Totally well done.

Jan. 29, 2012 at 3:25 pm :
thanks! =)