Birthday Candles

The three decker cake stood before me on the table
All thirteen candles lit and waiting,

The wax melting and fading,
And the base plunged into the goodness of vanilla icing

As the spotlight birthday song continued to be sung.
Once it’s over, the candles seem to get brighter,

Smiles seem to get wider,
And the balloons seem to get lighter

As I stare at the round, sugary cake.
I can feel everybody’s eyes on me,
Beckoning my wish to come and blow out the candles,

So that the mocking cake can be devoured.
I can’t think of my wish or how to put it in words;
I feel pressured with all the family’s and camera’s eyes

Poised on me with expectance.
The icing covered cake sweats on the table,

And within seconds I make up my mind
I take a deep breath and blow 12 flaming candles out

And on the 13th I whisper softly,
'I blew out my birthday candles

And wished for you.'

didyou_notice_007 said...
That was so nice!! I read it to my friend and I thought it was going to be just another normal poem but it wasn't and I liked it a lot!! I read it and then I read your 'Author Comment' and well I have no words for it! I loved it!!(:

JaneCapelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you SO much!! :D

Rei K. said...
Amazing i love the last stanza!

Thank you!! =)

C.K.Snow said...
What a lovely article! I love the last lines the best!

thank you! =)

zadiekatie23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This really demonstrates the pressures of life and how the simplest things can be escape. Thanks! :)

Thanks so much for your perspective--i never really thought of my poem that way! =) ;P

AgentOrange789 said...
Very good! I like how it was all built up for the very last line. I would appreciate if you read my poem "Revelation of Infinity." Thanks.

Thank you! =) and sure! I will asap! :)

TheRoadNotTaken said...
This was amazing! i love how its kind of like a story too! i thought it would be just a little poem about birthday candles ( even though it kind of is!) But it was really great!

Thanks so much!! =)

HannaBanana123 said...
This was great:) Well done!

thanks! =)

Blue4indigo said...
Lovely work, the descriptions are wonderful, the occasional rhyme is great. The only issue I seem to see is that you tend to switch verb tenses, otherwise great

Thank you! =) and oh....lol never really realized that, hehe...whoops...

JaneCapelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
**Please note: because of the new changes to the website as on 2/6/12, my poem's formatting is screwed up.

*of not on

Xrisi said...
ohh i like it

thank you :)

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
Due , this was amazing! I especially loved the last lines. They are so powerful! Keep up the fantastic-ness! 5 Stars :)