Birthday Candles

The three decker cake stood before me on the table
All thirteen candles lit and waiting,

The wax melting and fading,
And the base plunged into the goodness of vanilla icing

As the spotlight birthday song continued to be sung.
Once it’s over, the candles seem to get brighter,

Smiles seem to get wider,
And the balloons seem to get lighter

As I stare at the round, sugary cake.
I can feel everybody’s eyes on me,
Beckoning my wish to come and blow out the candles,

So that the mocking cake can be devoured.
I can’t think of my wish or how to put it in words;
I feel pressured with all the family’s and camera’s eyes

Poised on me with expectance.
The icing covered cake sweats on the table,

And within seconds I make up my mind
I take a deep breath and blow 12 flaming candles out

And on the 13th I whisper softly,
'I blew out my birthday candles

And wished for you.'

song-writer26 said...
This is lovely :) I really enjoyed it!:D

JaneCapelleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
thank you! =)

babyrex4 said...
Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:20 am
This is such a beautiful poem, sis! You really should be able get this into the Teenink magazine.

:D you really think so sis? :D

babyrex4 replied...
YES????????!!!!!

Emma-Riley replied...
good job jane

MarieLouiseA replied...
I love the tension build up throughout and how the ending is so simple, but elegant and poised almost as though it were the only thing this little girl was wishing for, the only thing that mattered to her. Its hard to come across good poets on websites like these but this is really good! Great piece and keep writing (:

Thank you, i'm glad you understand my poem =) and hey lol i'm not little! XD the girl in the poem is me :P and yeah...what i wished for was the only thing that mattered to me. Thank you thank you thank you :D

Thanks Emma-Riley!

oops...Emma is on page 1 :p