Second Best

A loud girl opens her mouth to brag
About the project she finished four days in advance.
I stare at my blank page and empty research,
Wringing my hands in stress.
I know I won’t be the best in the class,
I know I’m busy with other classes,
But all the reasons in the world can’t stop my nervous jitters.
My stomach flies,
My hands shake,
I sit on the edge of my seat,
Waiting for the end to come,
Knowing I will always be second best.

Behind_Sapphire_Eyes said...
Your poems are amazing. I can't believe what power you can put into just a handful of words. I'm starting to love reading your work! In other words you're going to receive a lot of comments from me :P

NightGoddess17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
aw, im sorry about that heart, but thanks for reading my poem!

InvisibleHeart said...
This reminds me of a time I sat in class working on a project worth a lot of marks. The final marks were a contest for everyone to see who got the highest mark. And I too was second best. Brilliant poem!

MiraStorm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like this because it can apply to so many other things as well as projects... it has a deeper meaning. it makes me sad.... you know a poem is good when it provokes emotion =)

NightGoddess17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
thanks so much mira!

Akane-Ree said...
Bio project?

lol actually its my research paper... we have a project? darn... thanx for finally commenting on my poem!!!

imnotstupidjustcrazy said...
your poems are amazing. I can't believe that just a few dozen words can be so powerful.

aw, thanks so much!!