REM Sleep | Teen Ink

REM Sleep MAG

By LilyG BRONZE, Carlsbad, California
LilyG BRONZE, Carlsbad, California
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Too many.

You can dream more.

The earth balances precariously, but in your
soft moments of slumber,
the world is yours.

Explore.
fine poppy seeds fall
slowly down
the curtain of your eyelids,
collecting in the corners.

A bug flies in to say hello.

And you keep
running. in this dream
it's barefoot, the rocks of the earth slicing into your toes and yet
It feels so good.
The dream switches and now you feel
fake grass and
suddenly you are in
a stadium with
the lights shining directly on you.
The crowd chants, the light grows brighter, the pressure is exploding your esophagus
blocking your nostrils with harsh fumes
lungs fighting for breath turning blue gasping gasping gasping –

and my bed is covered in sweat. and my eyes cast open,
and I'm wearing shoes.

This piece was inspired by poetry t'fillah, which is a twice a week "class" at my school where we read poetry and can write to our hearts' content.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

WHOA. Really cool. THe title totally attracted me and I absolutely lved this. YOu made the mood really readable (feelable) with intense imagery and really nice, hard diction. Really good job!!

Fonvizzle BRONZE, La Grange, Texas
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Enthusiasm is contagious. Lets start an epidemic."

This was very well written! :) You're welcome to look at one story I posted! Thanks! 

on Nov. 9 2013 at 7:48 am
I like it! A sleep walker! I am one and it is wierd waking up standing in the hallway or sleeping in a completely different place. This is most definetly positively magazine material! It wasn't too long or too short and I was interested the whole time. AND you and a few others know what REM sleep !!! 5/5/5!!!!!!! :D

LilyG BRONZE said...
LilyG BRONZE, Carlsbad, California
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Too many.

thank you so much all of you! thanks to you i got this poem published in the physical teenink magazine!:) <3

on Dec. 28 2011 at 3:35 am
Pamplemousse SILVER, Gilbert, Arizona

"To be happy, Don't do whatever you like, Like whatever you do" -James Barrie (author of Peter Pan)

Keep up the good work and post some more stuff! You really have talent.

on Dec. 28 2011 at 3:34 am
Pamplemousse SILVER, Gilbert, Arizona

Beautiful! Imagery, word choice- everything. I loved the stream of consciousness feel that you almost get lost in and the abruptness at the end. Just like a dream.

Tralalaura PLATINUM, Bronx, New York
Omg! Amazing! I love it! 5/5 rating! You painted such a realistic picture, I could literally see the dream and the harsh awakening. Keep on writing!

youngspeare BRONZE, Nairobi, Other

We wouldn't ask a rose that grew from the concrete for having damaged petals; in turn we'd all celebrate its tenacity, we'd all love tz will to reach the sun well we are the roses n these are my damaged petals don't ask me why thank God and ask me how

Great poem. 5/5 stars for you! Keep posting! Please check out my poem "Ghosts of the Past" and RATE/COMMENT? I'd really appreciate it.

otherpoet SILVER, Wayland, Massachusetts

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

Excellent poem! I completely forgot it was a dream, so your ending was like a literal wake-up call, thanks for writing!

ArielleArmageddon PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

if i cant hear your heartbeat, you're too far away

this is just a beautiful piece. i could feel the excitement within me. please keep writing and check out my work?