What I Could Never Tell My Mother This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What I could never tell my mother
Isn’t her fault; it’s mine
It’s things wrapped inside of me, coiled like wire with the filament exposed
She could accept them – those things – I’m sure
Maybe even love them the way she loves me; little puzzle pieces
That fell out of the box when we were putting it under the sofa
After we almost finished the puzzle together
But I hide them inside my deepest aorta
Keeping them safe because who wants to grab a still-beating heart?
It would kill me to take those secrets out
So my mother may know they exist
But she lets me keep them.
And maybe that’s the real secret, the one that
Shhhh
She doesn’t know –
It’s that I need some secrets of my own.

AriShine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:25 am
Great imagery. Love it! Keep writing!

MilesC This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:56 am

You took the words right out of my mouth. You certainly worded it better than I could ever have done, and I really like how you extend your scope beyond just your reaction. You expanded it to the collective reaction of all of the readers and the relevance this has to the poem.

Well said. I agree wholeheartedly.

Ms.BassyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

thats how i feel about just about all of my family...

rockmafia-611 said...
i feel like this poem speaks to me i think it's really good

tdpackerfan said...
The poet did a nice job of capturing the emotional conflict of the societal teenager. Ultimately , it is very likely that many will be able to conenct with this poem and relate to its central theme. The poet is successful because he or she has found a way to establish that connection with the reader.

JYazzmen said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:32 am
i loved this poem i can really relate to it 'cause i can't fathom the way my mom would react to some of my stuff

Piper S. said...
The truth in this poem is really relatable for me! I loved the comparison about the beating heart. I had to read the poem a couple of times because it left me wondering. The secrets theme was great.

Toby. said...
here's so much my mom doesn't know

Kianie_B. said...
This poem is soooo relatable! :] Although I may tell my mom some secrets, I definatley might need to keep some to myself. Great job!

otherpoet said...
I love this piece because I can remember telling my mother everything, and now I tell her almost nothing of what goes on in my head. This piece is so relatable. Great writing!

C.A.Walt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:04 am
i love the truth in this!! amazing

laurensoccer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This piece is so beautiful and moving. It is so genuine. Please keep writing!!!!!!!!!!!!

WeAllBurn said...
This was a fantastic piece of work, seriously. I loved this soooo much

ElleNicole said...
Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:29 am
Nice job. Mind checking out my work? Thanks if you do! =)

Schuyler said...
I really enjoy your poem its great. The tone of your poem sounds to that its alright to keep some secrets of your own and your mother will be okay with that .

youngspeare said...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 7:09 am
Mind-blowing! It's fantastic :) 
think you could check out my work sometime? Would really appreciate it. 

meadowood said...
Wow really great! You expressed something that a lot of us understand in a really creative, artistic manner. <3 the metaphor!

BrownEyeGirl said...
its relly good i love it . its how i feel about me and my mother . i couldnt let her know some of my secrets either . but i thimk its amahzing how you can express that in a poem

a darkness said...
i love this it is the same way i feel

Kpalo14 said...
Nov. 3, 2011 at 9:13 am
very good poem!