What I Could Never Tell My Mother This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What I could never tell my mother
Isn’t her fault; it’s mine
It’s things wrapped inside of me, coiled like wire with the filament exposed
She could accept them – those things – I’m sure
Maybe even love them the way she loves me; little puzzle pieces
That fell out of the box when we were putting it under the sofa
After we almost finished the puzzle together
But I hide them inside my deepest aorta
Keeping them safe because who wants to grab a still-beating heart?
It would kill me to take those secrets out
So my mother may know they exist
But she lets me keep them.
And maybe that’s the real secret, the one that
Shhhh
She doesn’t know –
It’s that I need some secrets of my own.

KatKat44 said...
today at 12:57 pm
Wow! I love this work! I love how even the intricate wording of each line, laces together like a doily. It's beautiful. Hey, I know that many people may be asking you this, but could you check out my poems, I have two entry's right now with three or four poems in each, could give me some pointers?

Thefanatasticagirlie101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 10:56 am
Really deep work. Can you read my and tell me what I can improve on, rate/comment. you did really great, way better than anything I've written.

AmazinGraceyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 10, 2014 at 8:33 am
Very well written, I like the pace of this poem, nice job.

edgarallanpoette said...
Sept. 10, 2014 at 1:47 am
I really loved the image you created with the puzzle pieces. Nice job!

Liv.HarrisThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
loved this!

jettabugThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this piece. This is a great output! This really touched me.

TickTockBANG said...
Nov. 3, 2012 at 11:46 am
"Because who wants to grab a still-beating heart?"   I just really like that line. This is really relatable and well-written--lovely job :D

Haseenarulz said...
Nov. 3, 2012 at 9:29 am
Woow a great output...... itz really heart touching....

The_Quiet_Girl said...
LOVE THIS!!!!! Phenomenal work! :)

The_Quiet_Girl replied...
Oh, and can you please check out some of my work? You don't have to, but I would really appreciate some ratings and/or comments. :) (Sorry for advertising)

AnnaRead This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
We all need our secrets, and we all keep them until our last breath, or not.

abbadoo said...
Sometimes mother knows best. And sometimes we write poems.

Foreverandeverwriting said...
Phenominal. Absolutely phenominal. Beautiful. Keep writing. :) Check out my work, please? 

boutonderose said...
i feel the same and this poem is perfect

AriShine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:25 am
Great imagery. Love it! Keep writing!

MilesC This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:56 am

You took the words right out of my mouth. You certainly worded it better than I could ever have done, and I really like how you extend your scope beyond just your reaction. You expanded it to the collective reaction of all of the readers and the relevance this has to the poem.

Well said. I agree wholeheartedly.

Ms.BassyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

thats how i feel about just about all of my family...

rockmafia-611 said...
i feel like this poem speaks to me i think it's really good

tdpackerfan said...
The poet did a nice job of capturing the emotional conflict of the societal teenager. Ultimately , it is very likely that many will be able to conenct with this poem and relate to its central theme. The poet is successful because he or she has found a way to establish that connection with the reader.

JYazzmen said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:32 am
i loved this poem i can really relate to it 'cause i can't fathom the way my mom would react to some of my stuff