What I Could Never Tell My Mother This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What I could never tell my mother
Isn’t her fault; it’s mine
It’s things wrapped inside of me, coiled like wire with the filament exposed
She could accept them – those things – I’m sure
Maybe even love them the way she loves me; little puzzle pieces
That fell out of the box when we were putting it under the sofa
After we almost finished the puzzle together
But I hide them inside my deepest aorta
Keeping them safe because who wants to grab a still-beating heart?
It would kill me to take those secrets out
So my mother may know they exist
But she lets me keep them.
And maybe that’s the real secret, the one that
Shhhh
She doesn’t know –
It’s that I need some secrets of my own.

maeve15 said...
today at 2:22 pm
that last line was perfect!

Rachelle-MaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 29 at 2:10 pm
This is awesome!

caroline.wishner said...
Feb. 8 at 3:50 pm
Please Check out Recent Poetry!

LaurenKittyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 8 at 10:52 am
wow! that was great!

societyis.suicidalThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 8 at 9:18 am
I am sppechless, see? i cant even spell any more!

KittyKat1201 said...
I love this~~

MysteriousErudite said...
Aug. 16, 2016 at 11:17 am
Wait I read this already wasn't htis already top voted?

chsongbirdThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11, 2016 at 9:53 am
This poem really got to me. So beautiful and so honest. Amazing.

YoelaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is really beautiful.

13stars said...
Apr. 28, 2016 at 10:20 am
Great work, it really touches my heart that you so fully grasp this concept and were able to put it out there so refined. Really speaks to me, my heart, and my soul!

WhiteHairedKid said...
Apr. 6, 2016 at 9:26 am
You Got talent you should go to a poet contest :P

Yeabsera said...
I totally understand this, I wrote something similar to it. Great job. :)

NandiniK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 21, 2015 at 8:57 am
This is really awesome!

maggiefegenbush said...
this is so amazing

AhutijgoyalThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I can relate to this poem so well. Its amazing just so pure and simple. Great work!

Storm3 said...
It's simple and beautiful. I think everyone needs there secrets, I also think that for each secret comes a time for it to be told. When the burden of it becomes too much it's easy to tell. And most mothers are the person waiting patiently to help. They wait until we can't hold it in anymore and they help us shoulder the weight until the weight is gone. I really like this piece.

Anna_Sharuda This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I can totally relate to this poem. It's extremely touching, simple, but strong at the same time. You did a great job :)

AkiraMizuki said...
I loved it...it was really amazing :)

wilds said...
Mar. 29, 2015 at 8:48 am
This is a really good poem. Most people could relate to it and it has alot of emotion keep it up. TeenInk.com/poetry/all/article/770241/Is-it-really/

SamanthaNZ said...
Mar. 29, 2015 at 7:59 am
This is stellar. I love poems about conflicted relationships with parents because I can relate to them so well. Very well done. If you can, check out some of my work, I have a few poems, a non-fiction piece, and a sci-fi piece. It would mean a lot to me if you checked them out and maybe commented.