Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

emmyreturns_ said...
today at 5:19 pm
wow. I cannot stop reading this- amazing work!

RamonRobertWrightFonseca said...
Jun. 27 at 5:20 pm
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Alexanderia P. said...
Jun. 18 at 6:27 pm
So I read this a few times, and then I forgot about it for awhile. In that time I worked on a sketch of a dragon. The dragon was thin, and the bone showed through the scales, along with that, he was wingless. I drew a collar around his neck, and a chain that had been tied around a large stone; as it was connected to the core of the planet. The last I saw of the dragon was his eyes, staring up at the only sky he'd ever see. After about another month, I re read the poem. The last part of the poem ... (more »)

Izzy777This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 24 at 7:34 pm
aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Camomile_AddisonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 16 at 9:41 pm
I'm re-reading the last two lines, over and over again, trying to decided whether it is a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not sure... This is a fantastic poem that I read often - Great job! It holds so much in so few words! This is talent.

loveable-peaches said...
Jun. 11 at 12:58 pm
I wish I had a father :)

I_am_me.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 6 at 4:31 pm
I read this piece so many times! You're great!

ageofsherloc said...
May 31 at 10:24 am
would anybody be willing to look at one of my submissions It's my first spoken word piece and I would like as much feedback as possible. Thanks! TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/802213/A-prayer-to-my-mirror/

DietCokeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 18 at 8:06 pm
It was great! I hope if you have time you'd check this out: teenink.com/poetry/sonnet/article/808811/The-Prickle-Bush/

Roe-DanielsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 29 at 8:46 am
I comment on this piece maybe a year ago and it is still number one in the most discussed. That's a true sign of a good poem. Looking forward to reading more of your work Carl H

Maddie0035 said...
May 28 at 6:15 pm
Wow! This poem paints such a perfect picture of childhood!

Robert321 said...
May 22 at 11:40 pm
Last 2 lines are poetic gold. Perfect to relate to teens

UnknownSoul said...
May 17 at 6:11 pm
I love this poem. Good job!

TheBestOfWriting said...
May 15 at 5:14 pm
love this poem!

super.ballerinaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 15 at 9:04 am
There is a lot of symbolism in this piece. Really great work, Keep it up!

Euphy123 said...
May 13 at 10:30 pm

miiranda_18 said...
May 13 at 6:43 pm
Go check out mine! TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/.../The-Dirty-Man/

angelique said...
May 12 at 3:17 pm
WOW. you really have skills you can right good poetry its easy to understand I just love it

baby-p said...
Apr. 29 at 12:22 pm
i have a native American side to me so when i feel things deeply n strong i get empathy chills idk how to explain it just that this poem was heart touching