The Journey | Teen Ink

The Journey MAG

They say it’s all about the journey, I used to disagree.
Because I loved the destination but now I start to see
That when I finally get there, I think about the time
When we outsang the radio and thought we sounded fine.
The many fights that made Dad say, “I’ll turn this thing around!”
And how easy we’d make him laugh to calm him right back down.
The countless times we took a stop to stretch our legs were great,
Because space can get pretty tight when the car is packed with eight.
We all took turns to close our eyes and have a little nap
Or listen to whoever drives get lost and blame the map.
Oh how I love it in the car when we’re all having fun
So how I hate when we arrive and all of that is done.
Next to the pool, with earphones in, those times I can’t recall
But memories of getting there always do stand tall.
So Destination, here we are, but not as a family.
And as for me, I now agree, it’s all in the journey.

sadesdd DIAMOND, Elma, Iowa
Wow. I totally agree! It is all about getting there. I always dread getting out of the car. This poem made me smile. Great job!

CelebrateDifferences, Long Island, New York

“Gods of Olympus.” Piper stared at Leo. “What happened to you?”
His hair was greased back. He had welding goggles on his forehead, a lipstick mark on his cheek, tattoos all over his arms, and a T-shirt that read HOT STUFF, BAD BOY, and TEAM LEO.
“Long story,” he said.”

I can relate to this a lot and it brings back a lot of memories!

DemonAngel GOLD, Maricopa, Arizona

You are either dead or alive.Your heart either pumps blood or life.Our hearts pump words love life and understanding.Into our sub-conscience body for we use the hands of that body to write. -Best friend :'( RIP

I really like this poem.It brings back memories of times when i still agreed to travel with my family of 8.Its so spot on with everything we did.God this just goes to show that its the simplist of times that can bring you back to being a "kid" (like 12)

Mimi15 PLATINUM, Belfast, Maine
This was so wonderful. You're a fantastic writer. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear your opinion of my poem Broken Structure. Cheers. :)

so_joy SILVER said...
on Jul. 29 2012 at 11:00 am
so_joy SILVER, Navesink, New Jersey

"Be the change you want to see."

Amazing! I love this!

Please read, rate, and comment on my poems!

InkWriter13 said...
I love this poem! So true, so relatable. Rhyming was a great choice for this because it kept up a light tone that paralleled well with the joy of car trips and journeys. A wonderful idea. I completely agree. Beautiful writing. Would you please read and comment on my poem titled In the Library? I woud really appreciate it! Thx :D

Indilove GOLD said...
on May. 24 2012 at 7:25 am
Indilove GOLD, Kenockee, Michigan

No one is your strength or guidance. If life is what you wish to live then do not bind your soul to something unreal. The creater nor the keeper can heal you for it is blind faith that leads you.

I have a family of eight and i completly agree!!!! We're always getting lost and blaring the radio. I love this poem!!! Great work!

on Apr. 16 2012 at 7:48 am
AlannaButterfly BRONZE, Boxford, Massachusetts
I really love this poem, I really love poems about taking your time with things. This poem was very relatable to me and I really loved it.

MissShah GOLD said...
on Mar. 25 2012 at 12:13 am
MissShah GOLD, Nawabshah, Other

`Instead of thinking about how to win, think how u lost last time. u will definitely win`- Adolf Hitler.

woow! i love it.. seems that you have got a mental approach like me for me too have experienced such a thing! :]

coletteF said...
I like this poem's rhyming pattern a lot! You've created a scene, which is hard to do with words. Great job!

Indilove GOLD said...
on Mar. 19 2012 at 8:20 am
Indilove GOLD, Kenockee, Michigan

This is so true! Especially the radio part and being packed i can relate! Great job!

MiniMags1442 said...
Wow, great poem. Breathe taking.

Bookworm1997 BRONZE, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

You cannot open a book without learning something. -Confucious

Completely true! It was so creative how you compared the journey of life with a humorous car trip.

Eminellie13 said...
on Feb. 4 2012 at 10:43 am
Eminellie13, Ft. Collins, Colorado

"Your success is best measured by the talents you've been given."
~Anonymous

and by the way, i absolutely love your poem! this past summer my family took a road trip from colorado to new york... that sure was a journey! thanks for writing that, i can now totally relate

Eminellie13 said...
on Feb. 4 2012 at 10:40 am
Eminellie13, Ft. Collins, Colorado

~Anonymous

could you check out some of my work? id love to get some constructive feedback!

on Feb. 4 2012 at 5:45 am
lioness_210 BRONZE, VADODARA, Other
a beautiful poem... i so agree with you... during the journey of life, you come across so many new things... you grow as a family & you grow as a person... it makes the final fruit sweeter & more valueable...

AlexisNicole822 SILVER, Elyria, Ohio

Robert Pattinson: “If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are. Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads"

Wow. I almost wanted to cry. My family is only four, my parents, me and my little sister. We usually have quiet or argumentive car conversations, but the whole fact that it's life and a journey. That really got me. This was amazing.

Dee.Kirkland BRONZE, Rhome, Texas

Win first ask question later- Enders Game
once my true love is now my memory- myself

i thought all that is true. i happend to me but there was 6 of us and i was the only girl and i had to listen to the driver sing while all the guys watched movies in the back seats. it was fun and how i miss it. but i cant wait to do it again next november.

dickbutkiss said...
on Jan. 13 2012 at 10:49 am
dickbutkiss

Morning SILVER said...
Morning SILVER, Greensboro, North Carolina

"There is no perfect time to write, there is only now." ~Barbara Kingsolver

This is really nice. My family takes long car trips every summer and brought those memories foward. Good Job!