Penning Chivalry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

Between school daze
and summer knights
I sit in my scholarly tower,
Penning chivalry
of the noblest sort.
The epitome of manhood,
Black ink spurs forth
his college-ruled steed,
toward the spiral-bound
damsel in distress.
She is held captive
by the tightest of margins,
her ransom clearly demanded
on the syllabus.
He fights incoherent thoughts,
empty passion,
and clichés of all shapes and sizes,
bravely rescuing said damsel
from the securely zipped back pack
of her own quivering mind.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the December 2008 Teen Ink Poetry Contest.

moon8 said...
today at 6:20 pm:
Your phasing and words are absolutely beautiful and I love that you used a piece of writing to so elegantly and fantastically describe writing. You bring the words to life in the way that only a true writer can, and you certainly deserved the award you won!

cecchmate said...
Jan. 30 at 6:40 pm:
The play on words is awesome. Love this. :)

Malis3 said...
Reminds me of "The Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll. I like it and am pleasantly surprised I've found a piece of this caliber on such a site. Keep your imagination intact, no matter what these teen-angst loving, hopelessly 21st century Babbits say. :)

Its.beautiful. said...
Well... To begin, "school daze and summer knights"  are a terrible play on words draw in any reader. It may not have been so bad if the rest of the poem related to it, but of course that is not the case. To my understanding those two lines and the following were the start to an extended or pile up of bad metaphors such as the "scholarly tower and college ruled steed". What do they stand for other than a school and a peice of paper, and if that ... (more »)

Niti-M said...
Jul. 15, 2012 at 1:18 am:

I love your choice of words. Well written! I wish I could fit words like this in my work. Care to read some of my work? TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/478991/Tryst-with-Destiny/

Your feedback will be much much appreciated and taken in consideration. Thank you so much. :)

DaleTheWhale said...
May 10, 2012 at 10:10 pm:
Reading this a few times, I've not quite figured out how exactly this makes sense...but maybe's that the point. Definitely well written, definitely well done.

IndiloveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 18, 2012 at 8:27 am:
This is absolulty amazing!!! Seriously this is great!!! AMAZING WORK!!!

Blueeyedgirl18 said...
Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:00 am:
Amazing work!

RedFeatherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow. Awesome poem! Love the way you ended it too! Congrats on making the magazine, btw. Can anyone check out some of my work if you've got some free time?

Big k said...
Nov. 29, 2011 at 10:17 am:
Huh...........

dakotawright said...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 11:06 am:
I love this poem. As simple as that, I love it.

Natasha1994This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

i love this poem good description on it 

great job

Lexie96 said...
Love it, and love what it was describing. Great work, check out some of mine if you have the time?

summerlengyel said...
I love the first two lines with the daze and knights, very creative. Awesome work!

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like it a lot! As an avid fantasy reader and long time fantasy writer I can put my own emotions and experiences into these words. It's most definitely not every poem I can do that with.

kankles are sexxy said...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 10:35 am:
Gurl please chivalry died a long time ago!!!!

ChainedDreamer said...
Fantastic. A beautiful extended metaphor, well written... 

Lakisha G. said...
This is a great poem and I am so glad that I read it. The title is waht attracted me and like the title, the poem is very attractive and descriptive. Very well written. Great job!!

afflatus said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 10:02 am:
hey nice work.....<3

Zelda2h2 said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:00 am:
it's beautiful, it's inspiring, I love how you take the simplest of items and phrases and turn them into a fairy tale work of art.