Child Soldiers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Their eyes tell silent stories.
Stories that would shock even the darkest of hearts.
These eyes have seen worse than some could even dream of.
They’ve seen killing and death, and pain and suffering to extents that can be hard to imagine.
Eyes that should be learning how to read are instead being taught how to fight.
Emotionless eyes are being forced to kill in gruesome ways.
Eyes that seem to have run out of tears, because crying never helped.
Their sobs are unheard, their tears are unseen.
Children who are innocent are being ruined by men who see no hope in their government.
Men who are willing to take advantage of an irreplaceable innocence.
The eyes are deep brown.
A brown so deep you could get lost in it.
Eyes that catch attention for their beauty.
They silently tell of innocence lost and of silent tears cried.
These are the eyes of a child soldier.

AbigailGilgal said...
today at 9:38 pm:
I for real just started crying. This is an amazing piece. Guys, lets do something about this. I know I will definatly remember to pray for these childen. Thank you so much for this touching poem.

White-Rabbit said...
Apr. 23 at 9:16 pm:
I thought this was an extremely beautiful & emotional piece. Thank you for sharing a rare perspective to look through.

francheskasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 12 at 11:14 pm:
Really meaningful and  true. Although, I have to admit, I'm the type of person who enjoys metaphors. I suggest describing the pain of the children as something more. Also, describe more about what is going on in their heads. Good job though !

Bryanna252Munoz said...
Feb. 12 at 12:13 pm:
Deffidently one of my favorites. The author did an amazing job deffining the effection for this peice of poetry.

Bryanna252Munoz replied...
Feb. 12 at 12:14 pm :
Affection**

Terry_A said...
This poem made me realize the reality going on in some parts of the world. I feel like making a difference now. Anyways, good poem!

MariaNMai said...
Sept. 11, 2013 at 10:00 am:
I read the first line and I got goose bumps. This poem tells the ugly truth of this world. How some kids have to suffer all the time. It made me think how ridiculous some of us can sometimes be, we complain about our homework and some even because they didn’t get the newest Iphone. It’s sad to think that what this poem tells is true but not from a book or a movie. Those innocent kids have had to face more horrible things than I will probably have to face my entire life.  It made... (more »)

chocolatinaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:46 pm:
Wow...all this time we write about how we feel, our experiences, and our memories. But what a daring step to consider another viewpoint, especially one like this. Well done!

Ghoshy said...
I think this poem would be better as a short story. However, the descriptions really created a sad picture in my mind.

Origami_Giraffe said...
  I'm sorry to say this, but this really does not sound like a poem. It sounds like a paragraph you decided to space out and attempt to pass as free verse. One of the main points of poetry is that it's a way to treat language like a toy rather than a tool. This is the format where you're allowed to ignore the normal rules of writing, but not only do you not bother to get creative with the writing, you treat the rules like they're still necessary. Each 1-3 lines is a comple... (more »)

_Anomaly_ replied...
Sept. 15, 2013 at 3:00 pm :
This is the best critique ever.

sadesddThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
The subject of this poem is something I've thought long on. The author did such an amazing job capturing the true feeling of losing child innocence because of people that don't care.

Sabers30 said...
I love this poem. It is really sad but so true. It really makes you think about how good of a life we have compared to them. 

sierradelrae16 said...
Sept. 18, 2012 at 8:24 am:
I love it! It's inspiring and encouraging!:)

sierradelrae16 said...
Sept. 18, 2012 at 8:23 am:
I love this poem. Yes it may be sad, however it let's us have an insight on how they were feeling. It shows that they are strong and courageous.:)

Ga-GahKayMarie said...
I read a lot of bad comments but I must say they are wrong I liked this poem it was raw and written to me nicely, I dont know how qualified I am to judge but I liked it :)

albinotiger said...
Jun. 24, 2012 at 8:40 am:
wow its sad, true, and inspireing.

Daniii said...
May 31, 2012 at 4:37 pm:
Super inspirational. So well written!

Adi-heid said...
May 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm:
This is so amazing! I really love it!

Katie-jo said...
May 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm:
Awesome! Loved it!