Goodbye

The dark sky calls to me,
promising me sanctuary,
it's slaves of light staring me down like little eyes that glow in the dark.

The place I call 'home' is no longer home to me.
It's no longer filled with the happy memories that I so intensely cherished,
no longer caressed by anyone,
no longer loved by anyone.

I miss you,
badly.
Your happy round face and eyes always alight with the pure joy of life,
the smiled filled with love and giggles.

Why you?
Why take the only drop of innocence our world has to hold?
Why take the only purity that our people so lovingly cherish?
Why take him away-
from me?

So young and small,
So pure.

Why curse him with these burdens so many deal with?
Why force him to grow up now?

'Let me go.'
Still haunts me,
Still brings tears to my eyes.

'Let me go Mommy.'

So that's what I did.

savetheplanet said...
It does seem as though a mother lost her child and my sincere condolences for the loss of your aunt.  It must be difficult to get through.  My uncle too, just died from cancer.  This poem blends such bittersweet memories, it's quite beautiful.

ImMeNotYou replied...
I'm so sorry about your Uncle, and thank you very much. Losing someone from cancer is really difficult. Thanks.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:38 am
Quite interesting, and quite sincere (always a unique combination). Emotion intertwined with meaning, a seamless construction of life and sickness, though written rather simply. The reader can trace the thought of the author in the poem, and can discern the vague form of a story at the heart of it.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:42 am

With your consent, however, I'd like to be helped through it. To understand it. Was it a mother, losing her child? What would "letting him go" mean? Of course, you're to poet; by no means are you compelled to interpret your poem for me.

My condolences for the loss of your aunt, and my tentative reminder that in losing someone can they be found elsewhere, and that in death there is new life.

ImMeNotYou replied...
When I wrote, "let him go"I meant in a way that when a person is dying, sometimes a loved one gives them permission to go. When she let him go, she gave him permission so he wouldn't feel guilty, in a way.

ImMeNotYou replied...
And thank you.