"Echo..."

I walked across
the frozen lake
to see what pictures
I could take
into my mind, to try and slake
the thirst for those things lost.

The sky was blue, the ice was white -
was dry and bare in the stark light -
the air like gems before the night
shining none too softly.

The distance showed
the mountains tall,
stone and sharp;
time seemed to crawl
horizon met
snow before all
the others tried to touch it.

I saw a hawk in the clear sky
and it let go a mourning cry
long and low, that did not die
inside of me, no never.

Katie1234This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 23 at 3:50 pm:
In November you commented on my piece "Plastic Dirt". I try to always return such an honor. The title of this piece really stood out. With your permission, I would like to use this when my school does our "poem in your pocket" day.    Awesome job. Keep on writing, you have a gift.

To_the_SeaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 25 at 3:51 pm :
Of course you may use it; I would be honored!  Thank you!

Vacilator said...
Whoa.  Fantastic!

TotheSeaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 5:43 am :
Thank you very much!

RedFeatherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:36 am:
Great poem! It has an interesting rhyming pattern and is filled with emotion. KW!

Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:25 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad it can reach people on an emotional level.  Thanks for reading!

JamesODalaigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I sincerely found this poem to be one of the best I've read thus far. It has so much depth and beauty it's difficult for me to explain but I know what I'm feeling and it's certainly amazing.  

Oct. 24, 2011 at 4:33 pm :
Wow, your comment just rendered me speechless.  That's honestly some of the highest praise I could hope for.  Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it.

jasont727 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The rhyme and lyricism here is really great. Also, the last stanza is very gripping. Beautiful poem altogether. 

Oct. 7, 2011 at 5:49 am :
Thanks!  I was working for imagery.

jasont727 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm :
You have a way with words--you capture the moment really well. It's very easily imaginable.

Oct. 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm :
Thank you!  That means a lot to me. (: