On Prey

Wild is the frightened goose
Who flees from bounding feet
Glancing back
At the rifles’ dance
And stumbling through the air
Bite at life with sweaty beak
Just to have it—
Wrenched away!
By a gunshot from the hunters
Then smoke and feathers
And blood
A fading sound of thunderclap
Then a fall to dirt and dust

Merry are the feasting men
Who sup on roasted bird
Flesh on wooden table
A meal of victory!
But watch them walk in later days
The flapping forms
Of frightened souls
Which fate will come to fetch—
With a flash of lightning
Or is it
Gunshot—from the sky?

To squirm in nets of Judgment
With a sentence of vapor—and Truth
They’ll recall the clamor of sudden death—
How familiar the sound!
Then retire to giant ovens
And fall to the wretched plates
Of a party of demons and of gods
Who make a meal—of men!

An-eloquent-leafThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I must say, Feathery Bard, reading your poetry is like eating sorbet, as strange as that may sound. Its flavors are delicate but altogether delicious, and although I would like to devour it all at once, I know that to appreciate it fully, it would br best if I consumed them at a slower pace :)

This piece particularly enchanted me, though I can't exactly quite put my finger on it as to why.

I have always rather despised hunters, or in better words, the act of hunting. To... (more »)

IamtheshyStargirl said...

"Bite at life with sweaty beak"

How entirely vivid, dear, it settles in the heart, a cone-shaped pool of itchy delight. 

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm :

We have geese, did you know they can live to be fifty years old? 

They are a male and a female, named after Nathaniel and Narissa from 'Enchanted'. The names are well suited to them. 

My brain is yellow right now, to almost answer your question and challenge.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm :

You always do seem to find the best descriptions for what I write. As if you know my poems better than I do. Perhaps you are chanelling the ideas for my poetry into my head, so that I may feel proud to have written something. :)

Really? How wonderful! Are they friendly?

A yellow brain is usually happy for me, and peaceful, like wandering through a meadow in the afternoon. Like an old, happy story than grandparents tell. Is it the same for you?

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Sept. 14, 2011 at 7:47 pm :

Really? That is entirely good to hear! 

No, not really, though once, when I lay in the field being the earth, they sauntered up to me, and let me pet and feed them. It didn't last long, though. 

The girl is especially mean, that is why the name Narissa suits her. 

Yes, the color of sunflowers and mountains of homegrown corn :)

Sept. 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm :
Maybe they're not mean, maybe they're only grumpy. Have you ever tried talking to them?

Sept. 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm :
And what induced that yellow color of sunflowers and mountains of homegrown corn?

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Sept. 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm :

Yes, actually. Geese are just grumpy. Doesn't mean they can't come out of their grumpy-shells every once in awhile and be friendly, though ;)

Preparing corn to be frozen for the winter, and putting together a gift of sunflowers, not anything you wouldn't know about, really. 

Sept. 15, 2011 at 6:12 pm :

And it makes it all the more pleasing when from their grumpy-shells they do emerge. Feeding time.

Ah, I see. Yellow, yellow, yellow. La la la. Ta dida da.

Sept. 22, 2011 at 7:44 pm :

Can you hear it?

Or are you even listening?

Aderes47 said...
From reading your little comment, I was reminded by the geese in the park and also one time we were in Prospect Park in NYC visiting family and my sister got bitten on her foot by a swan. LOL! This poem makes me feel guilty because I heard that they used to roast swans and I always thought that sounded delicious even swans are my fav animals. Again, bravo! From one of the masters of poetry! :)

Sept. 13, 2011 at 5:33 pm :

Really? Did the swan just attack all out of the blue? My sister got bitten by a camel once.

They're your favorite animals, but they sound delicious? Ha, humans are funny that way. :)

Aderes47 replied...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 5:55 pm :
No, so my sister was going up to the baby swans to take a picture and then the Mother Swan(or should I say Mother Goose, pardon the pun) bit her foot. Oh yeah. Camels bite. But how did that happen? Tell me the story. You have a sister and a brother, interesting. Any more siblings? Well, swans are beautiful to me but at the same time I imagine them to be tender and tasty. And they are not the nicest creatures, my mother says they are selfish.

Aderes47 replied...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm :
I like swans because they are so pleasing to the eye, how beautiful and majestic they are. Also, they represent love to me. I wish to have the qualities of a swan, grace, elegance and beauty. Also, swans swim and fly and walk, all the stuff I would like to do all day. So they are not necessarily my favorite animals but if I could be any animal I would be a swan for those reasons. :)

Sept. 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm :

Ah well, Mother Goose must protect her babies.

Ha, not much of a story. She was feeding the camel the wrong way and she ended up with her entire arm in the camel's mouth. I was quite young, so I don't really remember it. And no, they're the only two, thank goodness.

Swans are beautiful, aren't they? What's beautiful isn't always nice. Lions, for instance. :)

Sept. 13, 2011 at 7:06 pm :

I can certainly see how a swan could represent love.

Wouldn't you just love to fly?

Aderes47 replied...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 8:18 pm :

LOL!

Totally. 

Hmmm, I feel like a lioness when I run! :)

Aderes47 replied...
Sept. 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm :

Yeah, I always wanted to hang-glide or water-ski but I once went on a trapeze, I was really scared at the time but that was so much fun! It was really cool, this huge furniture store contained a trapeze. 

PS. My new poem got published! 

Sept. 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm :

Really?!?! Congratulations, Aderes! We all knew you had it in you. :)

How are you going to celebrate?

Aderes47 replied...
Sept. 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm :
It didn't get published in the magazine, I should have used the word uploaded. I really thought it had a chance to get in the magazine, I thought it was really unique. :)