Illumination This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I used to catch those lightning bugs
Back in my old hometown,
During those easier, laid-back moments, you remember,
Lying on that clearance-rack hammock
And listening to the crickets chirp,
Neighbors, all together, enjoying the cool summer nights.

Now, times are louder, base pounding out of their stereos,
“Shots,” “Dynamite,” that good ol' “Party in the USA”
You know, those songs we dance to,
Screeching the lyrics, like we love them

Truth is?
I hate the loud blasting sound
And the obliteration of the peace,
But then again, I'm a hypocrite,
Dancing and screeching with the rest of you.

I hope tomorrow will be greater than today,
And I will be able to find that magic in the simple things again,
Like back in the days, once upon a time,
When catching lightning bugs was enough

ColetteF said...
This poem is a work of art. I love the imagery and word choice, it felt more like reading a story or taking thoughts from someone's head the way it flowed so naturally :) great writing!

Theresa This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:52 am
Thank you so much. =)

Theresa This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:18 am

Thank you so much for the kind comments everyone; they mean a lot to me. 

It's a funny story how this poem came about.  I attended a lit camp this summer and one of our assigments was to look at people's facebook statuses and mash them up so they would form a poem.  This poem (with new thoughts, ideas, and words) came from the rough draft of that original assignemnt.  In reading people's statuses, I just realized how much simpler times used to be, and that was the b... (more »)

Aug. 24, 2011 at 12:20 am
Oh, and I didn't quote anybody's actual statuses in this draft.  Just was inspired by them. =))

SunkistKisser said...
This is beautiful and totally true in almost every way. As we get older, it's harder to find the little things that make us truly happy. Like catching lightning bugs. :) Good job! Keep writing!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

My, and what illumination you cast on the subject! To remind the reader that things were so much truer and simpler in the comfortable past, and open our eyes to the uncomfortable reality of the now. I loved the last line of the second stanza; that had a lot of truth to it.

The good news is this: the lightning bugs and the laidback moments are still here; they're just a little harder to find. But we will find them again, and there's where the salvation is.

Stated honestly ... (more »)

casielynnxoxo said...
Aug. 22, 2011 at 11:30 am
I really love this, I feel the same exact way! <3 This is awesome.