Church

with lifted eyes she clutches that
book of lies
the pastor screeches "Hallelujah!,"
jazz-hands and all.

never a woman upstaged
not even by bright lights and dance numbers
(the theatrics of worship)
she squeezes out one tear,
then another, until
she is sobbing for the big man
on a cloud-throne in the
sky.

the rhetoric of faith erupts from the pulpit
and wraps her in
a warm blanket of delusion.
she knows these pews will always be
her stage.

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Being close to God shouldn't be an act. It doesn't need big, crazy emotions in front of people to be real. I really like the meaning behind this poem, once again. Great use of language, too! the vocabulary really pulled this poem together. Nothing else, but maybe capitalize the first letters on each line! :)

sarahology This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 11:53 am:
Thanks so much to everyone! :)

ohheyyyelli said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 11:18 am:
I LOVE that (like the others pointed out) this has such a unique meaning. You have a great vocab. I love poems like this, so much better than ones that lay it all out for you. You are seriously talented.

yellowflower said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 10:51 am:
Just like everybody else i really love the message!! it is so unique and i wish i could be that creative! I also lov the the word choice, for example "a warm blanket of delusion" really puts a feeling and picture in my head. Great Job!

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 2:39 am:
The flow of this was surprisingly good. I really like the unique message (as julian pointed out), and your word choice set a perfect tone for what you're saying in this piece. Well done :)

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 29, 2011 at 12:48 am:
Lovely poem. I really enjoy it when poetry have unique messages in them. This piece certainly did! It does seem that sometimes the drama and the theatrics of church can take away from the actual experiences that church is meant to bring. I really enjoy your subtle rhythms that you entwine throughout your poetry. It is very pleasing to read. Once again, splendid work