To Finally Be Alive

Such solemn voices, like hooded monks in the pouring rain
Obscure birdlike forms gliding through the semi-darkness
A messenger makes his way across the sweeping plains
Bringing word of the void which rattles in his satchel
The prophet’s bookkeeper will open up any volume for you
But you must be ready to be consumed by the words
Or to drown on the pages

They are very lovely faces, the golden color of memory
When it is warm and whole, a puddle of honey and water
Friends that have moved on to a land of illumination
Leaving behind one white-haired boy to write their memoirs
And to continue to love their bright-eyed ghosts
Which flit in and out of the pulsating lamplight
And inhabit his quiet heart

Did you wonder why there was no sparrow on the third day?
No swift, brown dab on the rich, blue sky to circle overhead?
I am so sorry, darling, but you had to know that kind of loneliness
To realize that you are never truly alone
And I came back on the day when you were resurrected, remember?
I was flying far above the stooping figures of your flustered rescuers
I always return for you

A pair of eventide lovers, hand-in-glowing-hand
Ambling wordlessly along the edge of the dogwood forest
Worry stones resting, unneeded, in their pockets
Engraved with the outlines of a blue dove and a red chickadee
Catching falling petals between their gentle fingers
Knowing the secret of recovery and saved by the sensation
Of finally being alive

An-eloquent-leaf This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 9:12 am
Ahh!- what a glorious way to start your morning: songbirds chirping happily outside, a soft blanket warming your toes, and your mouth munching on a pumpkin muffin white your eyes chew on the words of your favorite raven. What a lovely, what a powerful, poem - your words have never let me down.

An-eloquent-leaf This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 9:14 am
I am dreadfully sorry, however, as I have no tea- I've never really enjoyed that drink much, and I quite prefer apple cider much better. I do have a cat though, two in fact! One is black with a white spot while the other is white with a black spot. Their names, of course, are Yin and Yang. I'd love to introduce them to you, but I'm afraid it might be a tad too dangerous for a feathered friend like you - they've caught many a bird in the past, and would love to do it again, if given the chance.

Mar. 3, 2012 at 9:15 am
It I interesting how the last poem I read of yours was "Subtle Death," and this one is "To Finally Be Alive." What a nice foil :).

RedFeather said...

Beautiful work as always, Raven. But what's this? More mention of love - that seems to be mentioned in most of your poems. Tells us, are you in love, Raven, or are you just in love with the idea of love?

Btw, I absolutely agree with you. It's very hard to attempt to love all humanity. I just love my family and friends and give respect to all the others. Cats are much simpler to love than people. I've only met one cat that I didn't like, though I liked him plenty enough until he bit me.... (more »)

The Silent Raven replied...
My feathered friend, I fell into and out of love, in the romantic sense. But in the larger sense, I love simply to love, for that is what we're instructed to do.

IamtheshyStargirl said...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:50 am

I am not exactly a lover of cats as a species, but I've found that certain individuals are lovely. Among them, Tigger and Cactus, one cat belongs to a friend, and I took care of him for a week. The other is mine. Though I'm not sure if I get to keep him.

Reminds a person of Wonderland, The Book Thief, and crystalized sundrops. Expertly drawn together, whenever I read your poetry, I imagine long fingered hands intricately drawing many colored threads together. Very much like the weavers... (more »)

savetheplanet replied...
Hmm, I have actually never met a cat who I didn't like.  True one cat seems to have a grumpy disposition but he always apologizes later. :D

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
I had a series of unfortunate cat events when I was little. 

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Most decent people make it their goal to love all of humanity, despite the large number of people who it is their inclination to despise. I tried, but have been finding it too difficult; so I resolved to love all cats, instead (much easier). Crystalized sundrops, hmmm, you should certainly incorporate that into a poem. I wonder, who or what is Alvin Maker?

Liz: ha, I like that. Cats can get quite grumpy, but I love it when they try to compensate. :)

savetheplanet replied...
You should have seen him beg for my turkey sandwhich.  It was so CUTE!  I was sitting down and there was a little stool in front of me.  He comes, sits on the stool, puts his front paws on my knees and just stares at me with these BIG eyes.  Noses my sandwhich and says, PLEEAASSSEE! Pretty, pretty please?  And I gave in to his infinite cuteness and ended up feeding half my sandwhich to him.  :D

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

Haha, oh dear... I find it easier to love all of humanity L: 

Maybe it can be about a certain lost necklace that I found one day at the health food store and just fell in love with it's raw beauty... I still hope that it will come back to me.

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Alvin Maker is the lead character from "The Tales of Alvin Maker" by Orson Scott Card. I think it was the first Orson Scott Card book/series I had ever read. It inspired me in many ways. 

That sounds like a good use for it.

I'll have to read something of Orson Scott Card some time, without a doubt.

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Most definitely :)

Aderes18 said...

This is a very beautiful poem. Reminds me of The Book Thief and tons of other beautiful things. 

It's also exquisite, unique, one of a kind. :) 

By the way, I have a cat, he's orange and his name is Mr.Piggle-Wiggle. :)

savetheplanet replied...
I like the beautiful imagery and language.  Keep it up!  And no, I don't have a cat but I love my friend's cats very much.

Thank you both very much; you are too kind!

To Aderes, oh wonderful! Tell Mr. Piggle-Wiggle that Raven says hello and also that he's invited to come and have tea with me any time he likes.

To Liz/Bard, that is just as well. :)

Aderes18 replied...
Mr.Piggle-Wiggle cannot come to tea today because he is sick with a stomachache but I will tell him! :)

Oh dear, I certainly hope he recovers quickly and easily.