A Tribute to the Sun of His Heart's Setting This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The cats and dogs pouncing
On the rooftop have come and gone,
Leaving a hazy cirrus stripe
Outside the dusty windowpane.

Peeking, I see through the Earth's soupy steam
An old man I once knew well
Still casting his pole onto the lake's wet skin,
Overalls and the willow he wears
Soaked to the core for he has sat
In his paint-flaking rowboat on the nose of the lake
Since before I was to awake.

I wonder what he thinks about
In his boat every dawn until break,
Sitting still as a statue, his eyes staring
As the bobber floats around
In the blue-green pool of tears.

His light pink fishing hat,
A pop of color in nature's shades,
A tribute to the sun of his heart's setting,
Has not been taken off his head,
Not for church or his land's pledge,
Since that day the killing cancer stole his love away.

That color took his only reason
To ever leave the fish-filled lake,
And because of this his slow-pounding
Heart will incessantly ache,
While I am kept inside with the company
Of the aged photographs, all alone,
My own heart continuing to break.

the_green_flashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 5 at 2:24 pm:
This is amazing! I love the imagery and the metaphors you use like the lake's "wet skin", I think great writing comes from looking at things with a different perspective.  Really inspiring! :)

thetruthawaits94 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
today at 1:13 pm :
i agree with you completely about looking at life with a special perspective! thank you!

LittleSully said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm:
Such terrible beauty:) I love it

Branden N. said...
I know this might be completely off what you intended to express, but this makes me think of a person who lost his lover and the lake reminds him of her so he visits it occasionally. Now he dies in that same lake. I could write about that o: Nice poem, and thanks for the inspiration lol. Also, thanks for the comments on my stuff! Could you maybe help get me as many comments as you do? I'd really appreciate it ^-^

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I loved the imagery in this, great job! 5/5

Regs_the_Shorty said...
Loved it but its sad. I really liked what it was about 5 stars!

MoraleAshThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is so sad! I really feel for both you and the old man. So beautiful!

PaigeStreetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really good

ohheyyyelli said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 11:21 am:
Beautiful imagery!

kat2.0 said...
It is beautiful like the other post said and it is beautifully written

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
You paint a beautiful tragedy :)

bEllAhOPe said...
You illustrated the point very well. The problem for me was: what exactly is the point? I suppose you could say that I don't understand it or have misinterpreted the simple meanings; either way, it truly is an elegant piece. Excellent writing.

Aug. 4, 2011 at 7:15 pm :
This poem is about grandfather, and he is just dead inside with grief (he wears a willow, as i said it in the poem). He leaves reality now because he is so sad, and his family watches him from inside the house, leaving him to himself, not knowing how to help him. No one can bring back the dead. So instead, everyone watches him, their hearts breaking for him. not knowing how to fix it. I dunno if that helps, but i love to explain my poems... i think it's fun :)

Aug. 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm :
Oh yeah. The pink hat he wears represents the cancer that killed his wife.

betweenyouandiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is beautiful! Sad, but very detailed, a very well painted picture.

JerseyGirl716 replied...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 1:09 pm :
Couldn't agree more; I loved it!

loveissmilesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 7:29 am :
this is beautiful! Painful, but beautiful. The way you write is so elegant. I felt like i was seeing through your eyes. It's something to be proud of. :)

Aug. 18, 2012 at 12:54 am :
Thank you so much! (this is the first time I am seeing this reply) It makes me so happy that you think such good things about my writing so thanks! :)