This Mask

I hide my feelings
I shield them
From the world,
I act happy
When I’m depressed,
I put on a mask
To hide myself,
My true identity,
My true face
Hidden,
Behind a mask
Because I am afraid,
Afraid of being hurt
And afraid of being alone,
And so,
I hide behind the mask

MystiecubThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Short, simple, straight to the point.

Love it.

:D

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm :
thanks :)        

JerseyGirl716 said...
Amazing, and very relatable. You really expressed yourself well, and in a gorgeous way. 5/5!

Aug. 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm :
thank you :)

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
This is beautiful and emotive. I loved how nicely it flowed and the feeling that was put into it. You made the piece relatable and I always look to connect with the piece. Great , great job!

Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:57 am :
thanks! i appreciate it! :)

alex198 said...
This is a really good idea. I think a lot of people feel and act like this and that makes the poem very relatable. I liked the repetition of the word mask. It was like a constant reminder of what the poem was about and it helped bring out the emotion in the poem. You also used repetition well with the words afraid and true. Once again you showed me the important themes in this poem just by emphasising a couple of words. I liked the short sentences. It was like you didn't want to let too much out... (more »)

Aug. 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm :
thank you so much! i'm glad you liked it! :)

divingforreality replied...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 11:37 pm :

We are nothing but actors living in a world filled with televisions.

I loved this because it's so absolutely true.