Secret This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I wear the makeup,
the new clothes

My hair is always perfectly curled or straightened
or in a messy bun that I pretend took 20 seconds to form

I get the appropriate amount of “likes” on my status,
a substantial amount of photo comments

I make the joke that everyone laughs at in class, at the expense of the substitute teacher fumbling to regain control

I go to the parties
the concerts
the bonfires

I dance and I smile and I laugh,
all the while numb

You know, I like to write.
I like black and white movies, photography, and cheesy board games.

I like nature, that sweet smell of wind as it wafts through an open window, and being with my family.

I like watching Saturday morning cartoons with my little sisters and cooking and laughing and playing

and
living

a life where I don't have to lie about what music I like, what movie I recently saw, how I feel about politics and
religion and
philosophy

This isn't some cliche piece about finding yourself as a teenager, experimenting, making mistakes.

I don't need to “find myself”
I already have.

I'm just not brave enough to show you yet.

All_KnowingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is an awe inspiring poem that conveys how you act under peer pressure and how you feel. It is wonderfully written and tells the reader a powerful message that people should hear more often.

BloglessBlogger said...
You have power in your words. I wish everyone would drop the charade...

Lia692 said...
Extremely powerful, quote-worthy ending.

Sabiha This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
thank you, :)