Sweeping Up Fragments

Late at night
Pretending the little glass piano
Reflects no burden of tomorrow
I’d like to wipe my eyes
So please
Leave me be

Scars are lighter
When you dream of open plains
And kneel to pray
Beneath the swaying lemon trees

Count the broken words
Which the goblins
Hand to the small, frightened boy
To get him to cease
His piercing cries
Before taking his quivering life
And pocketing it so quietly
For them to sleep
Quite fitfully

My face betrays me
I will admit
That I am lying to you
So there will be no need
To remember me

Take your beating heart
And your pretty smile
As you walk on a road of sunshine
Away from the graveyard
Of our today
But come back someday
To bury me

-leafy- This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 11:35 am
"There will be no need/To remember me"? I think not. O Feathery Bard, I would say you have great potential to be studied among the other great poets, but that would be a lie. Although I believe you are destined for greatness, you fly an even less-worn path than the others. It would be hard for me to forget you and your delectable meals of eloquence.

The Silent Raven replied...
I am delighted by your devotion... But then, I will be forgotten, however much time that will take. Even the 'great poets' will be. That is the fate of everyone and everything, or else no one and no-thing (and I lean towards the second). But for now, in this moment, I am given peace to know that I am thought of by such a writer as you.

leafy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
*blushes* You flatter me, I'm not that great of a writer...But yes, everyone is deemed to be forgotten eventually. I just hope that someday what I've done will amount to some importance, to be remembered at least for a little while...

Rayne said...
Nov. 25, 2011 at 12:31 am
Yes we are so fragile. But I thank God we have poetry to put us back together. And you are defintely poetic.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Ah, beautifully said, Rayne!

IamtheshyStargirl said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:02 am
Gorgeous, I too was writing of lemons not too long ago... are they really so sad?

Many thanks!

Lemons, I have found, have had more effect on me as a poet than any other fruit (although most citrus is influential of my work). :) They are rather more complicated than people, I think, and they have the potential to either provide salvation or break your heart.

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
That sounds right. They can be happy or sad, sunshine or acid. 

Aderes18 said...
Depressong and eerie but almost had a sense of artistry at the same time. There's got to be a word for that...

Hmm. A word for depressing, honest, and almost artistic? Perhaps you could invent one!

For some reason, I was very glad to hear those particular descriptions of 'Sweeping up Fragments.' It's what I consider to be a raw poem, if you know what I mean. And it's certainly not very cheery.

I liked that your typo made you say 'depressong' instead of 'depressing.' I think that'd be a good word to describe pieces of sad music.

Aderes18 replied...
I came up with a new word! :)

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is quite lovely my dear. i am so loving the last two lines, they do make the peoment.

A thousand welcomes, oh tallest of heads.

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
ahhh, youre so poetic.

Nah. What's poetry really? Is it getting at something large and pretty? Or is it just covering up the emptiness of the container?

Jul. 26, 2011 at 12:46 am
whatever you like, so long as its poetry, and not somecrap teenink randomly throws into the mag.

savetheplanet replied...
I like to think it's a little of both Thesilentraven. :D  An empty container can be quite beautiful you know.

Aug. 9, 2011 at 11:21 am
You think so? It's the emptiness, not the container, that bothers me.

savetheplanet replied...
I think that you can find peace and beauty in the emptiness just as easily as the filled spaces of this world.

Aug. 10, 2011 at 9:38 am
Hmmm. I think I will toy with that idea. :)