the story of a tree

falling
falling
to the
ground.

fruit
breaking,
juices
flowing.

shell cracking,
tendrils
pushing
out.

light
warming,
leaves
growing.

stem
stretching,
trunk
thickening.

blocking
sun,
making
shade.

towering
over
all the
forest.

axes
chopping,
wood
breaking.

falling
falling
to the
ground.

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:08 am
Whoa, definitely my favourite so far. I like how it comes around full circle. Seems to represent life, for me. We're born as needy children, and end life as needy seniors. 

I dunno. But yeah, this is so awesome. Save the planet, save the trees? :)

savetheplanet replied...
I actually hadn't intended to end it as it began, the poem just kinda wrote itself without asking me!

IamtheshyStargirl said...

It's hard being a tree hugger. 

Lovely poem, as usual, I really like how you composed it, the flow is so simple and natural.

savetheplanet replied...
Most of the time I write multi-word verses and four-line stanzas and I wanted to experiment on this one.

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
It turned out really well.

Aderes18 said...

I like this poem! It's a very good poem. :)

It reminds me of the Redwood Forest. 

savetheplanet replied...
That's actually where the inspiration came for it.  I just happened to be thinking of trees and then sat down and wrote a poem of the top of my head.  So now I have 3 poems I'm waiting for them to post.  I'm not sure what's taking so long.  Thanks for commenting though.  These poems have been up for a while and no one's really paid any attention to them.

Aderes18 replied...

Cool! :)

Hey no problem. I love reading people's stuff. Any time. 

Yeah, they do tend to take a long time publishing. 

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The rhythm of this was so very powerful, that I couldn't help but be captivated by the poem. Word choice was excellent; it was risky having one-word lines, but you certainly pulled it off! Well done!

savetheplanet replied...
Oh hey Thesilentraven! :D  Glad to see you checked out my poems.  I just commented on the Angel of the Wild Monastery.  Now we're fans of each other.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 9, 2011 at 11:37 am
Great! And I'll continue to check them out.