Of Jake This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Jake told me the weather forecast
Even though he's from Michigan.
He said he'd be thinking of me
And to stay safe.

All that day held foreboding.
I wondered how the padded sky
Could rear up and scowl
Enough to bring a thunderstorm.
But he always can.

Near supper
I went outside to touch the kittens.
I found the gusts
Had already raised their hackles.
Hot cotton rose in my throat
And I knew I couldn't stop
What was coming.

Every time the wind began to waltz,
Every time the sky was grouchy
And I felt his outburst coming straight away,
I saw us frantically preparing
For clouds to
Explode.

With lightning lashing at our heels
And thunder taunting on every side,
We covered the little plants
Yanked jeans from the porch railing
Slammed and latched the barn door
And dragged the trampoline to the woods
So it wouldn't flip.

Even filled with fright
I remembered Jake said he was thinking
About me.
And I could mock the fear.

We ate casserole and cantaloupe
In blackness for a few minutes;
Dread dripped from my armpits.
When the lights rejoined us,
My forehead cooled.

Later that evening
The sun danced a bit
For me.

It made me think of Jake.

The.oRGaNiSm. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yayyyy!!! You know I love this poem, so congrats on it getting printed!!!

EmilyRosebud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dang girl! With work like this, you are giving me GENEROUS comments about my stuff! I absolutely am in LOVE with your personification; it is probably the best I've ever had the honor to read. I really like the "hot cotton" metaphore. AWESOME!!!

dawnof17 replied...
Thanks:) But my sending things in doesn't take your poetry a peg at all! I still have the same opinion: STUPENDOUS. And I am still, still, STILL as jealous as ever of your imagination.

dawnof17 replied...
Thanks, it means alot for you to say that. But just because I wrote that, doesn't mean you're writing is any lower in my mind. I am still wildly jealous of your STUPENDOUS imagination.

dawnof17 replied...
ARG! I'll never get this figured out. Stinkin computer! Sorry bout da double compliment :)

EmilyRosebud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
That's ok. I know. Sometimes you post a comment but it doesn't show up so you post another and then--oh, howdy!--the old one decided to show up. And diddo! Me jealous too O.o

Haha. That comment up thar didn't show up the first time either! And you're welcome!!!! Sorry I forgot to say that earlier. Pardon my cruddy manners :/

dawnof17 replied...
I learnt wuddi gotta do. Just post the comment, and exit the window. Next time you go lookin for yer comment, WOWZ it's right there!

Jul. 25, 2011 at 9:57 am
Yeah I do that all the time, but sometimes it still doesn't show up. Like yesterday, I wrote a reply to a thread on the forums and I exited the window, then found my way back, and it wasn't there. I tried posting it again and again but it never worked. And then, on the list of threads where it says how many comments there are and who posted the latest one, It said there were 0 comments on that thread, but it said I posted the latest comment... Sometimes i question the IQ of computers... XD

dawnof17 replied...
Buuttttt......I'm sure if I was a computer, I'd make alotta mistakes too. Sometimes you jus haffa pat da ol' boy on da back and say, "At least you got me this far". :) I'm glad we've got these things!

Jul. 26, 2011 at 9:39 am
haha yeah.