An Ode, to be Continued

By the face of opposition
Should our stances be determined?

In a time of desperation
Can our true selves be revealed?

Through a web of false pretenses
Will we find the candid cure?

From the darkness we are ambling
Shed some light upon the sure?

So with all our doubt to tread on
Might we try accomplish just?

And with how our past can haunt us
Do we finish what we must?

Or slip, in bitter sorrow
With a lack of worthy cry,

That every time we sink an inch
The harder it is we try?

‘Cause with heads that bow in grievance
And eyes that close in spite,

We’ll miss the silent fall of then
To find the strength to fight.

WithPenAndScript said...
Aug. 9, 2011 at 10:56 am
This is a very powerful, attention-grabbing poem. The lines and teh rhyme throughout kept me interested and the word choice added to teh picture in my head. Bravo!

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:00 am
This is so strong. I am continually impressed by your poetry: the flow, the word choice, the deep thought behind each stanza.... You have serious talent. :)

CarolynQ said...
The ending is my favorite, your poetry flows very well. :)

Zildjian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The rhythm and rhyme is strong, like marching on through opposing forces. The one stanza that really caught me was the third one, though. 

NinjaGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm not sure that the line "might we accomplish just" makes sense but other than that, this is great!

TwasBrilling replied...
Yes i do agree..I was sort of thinking just as in fair, as opposed to just as in only.

blitsnik said...
Jul. 26, 2011 at 8:51 am
well...i was just proven wrong. i think THIS is your best work. It was brilliant, i loved the last two lines. Great job.

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 25, 2011 at 11:19 am
This is great. You are an amazing poet(:

hanging_girl_666This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Award Winning!

jasmin101 said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:56 am
no comment (((( amazing)))))

RedvinesWTHCantTheyDo said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 8:13 am
I almost started crying. This is really touching and I think it really relates to anyone. I love your choice of words. Another incrredible piece.

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a really good poem. I like Your rhyming scheme. There is one thing I would change, though. The line "And with how our past can haunt us" just seems kind of clunky to me, I think maybe because of the "with how". Perhaps it could be "And with our haunting past" ?