No! Okay? | Teen Ink

No! Okay? MAG

By Colleen SILVER, Sedro-Woolley, Washington
Colleen SILVER, Sedro-Woolley, Washington

"It just takes some time, little girl, you're in the middle of the ride." -- Jimmy Eat World

A simple grab. A silent stab.
A mighty yank. A mind left blank.

Painful words read. Painful words said.
Painful words heard. Painful words blurred.

Three minds racing. Three issues for facing.
Three glances unseen. Three problems between.

No warning declared. No defense prepared.
No silver lining. No eyes intertwining.

The biting of a lip. The shifting of a hip.
The dwindling of a tear. The ending of a year.

on Nov. 13 2013 at 6:47 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Totally deserving of a magazine spot... I love the vagueness. I use vagueness in a lot of my poems and stories as a way to connect with the reader more... ie, they can interpret it however they want so literally anyone can relate. Anyway, the vagueness here not only provides that concept, but it also just gives the poem a mysterious feel, like WrenArrington said. I love the use of spacing, and how you didn't use stanzas; you just kind of shoved the words together. (Not sure if it was purposeful or not, but it was a good choice either way.) The shortness of each little sentence/phrase was really clever. Again with the vagueness there. Excellent. It's very open-ended, which is mysterious (overused word ugh) but also just... it's just open-ended lol. And that's really good for a poem. Love the repetition... yada yada yada. I could go on for days. (: (but unfortunately i'm writing a novel in this poor comment box haha) Really nice job. Gave me chills.

on Jun. 5 2013 at 3:31 am
WrenArrington, Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I like how you really keep to the same format throughout. It's mysterious and doesn't give you much to go on, so you have to make your own conclusions as to what it's really about. Nice job :)