My Parents This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am irate
With my parents

They are unaware
Of how difficult they have made
Poetry
For me

They seem to have forgotten the
number one
Tool
In a poet's arsenal

They seem to have forgotten
That hundreds of poets have
Established
Their craft purely on
Their deleterious and
Stifling childhoods

It would appear that my parents
Are not in support
Of my poetry because they
Do not provide me with
Inspiration
For my writing

They are
Too loving
Too caring
Too supportive
To have much to
Write about

Unfortunately,
I am mentally sane,
Without horrifying childhood scars,
Without deep emotional conflictions,
Without hate and anger pumping through my
Circulatory system

It is a pity
That I have been raised in
An affectionate
Warm, Vibrant, and Encouraging
Community

I will never make it as a poet,
With an exceptional childhood

I have had it
Either my parents afflict me
With these conditions,
Or I will afflict myself

Until then
I must endure
The pain and suffering

And am forced
To have subjects
Such as this
For poems

invisibleme said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:49 am
it's wel written i agree and quite original but i'm sorry your writing because your parents are too loving?! My dad left me before i was born and my mom works al the time and doesn't seem to notice or care how i feel about anything. I was raised by my grandparents practically till mom was "able". Yet your writing about how your life sucks because it doesn't suck? It's clever and all but...i don't know it's slightly insensitive

Andres V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i think you might have read the poem differently than i intended. I didn't intend the poem to be serious. i'm not actually down trodden about my loving family, rather i am celebrating it in the only way i know how; sarcasm. In the poem i'm not pretending anything i'm not, which i find alot of teen poets tend to do. if i offended you i am sorry, but this poem truly isn't about me complaining about how my parents don't give me fodder for poetry, its quite the opposite

I think you may have read the piece differently than intended. I am not saying through this poem that I'm upset and sad about how lucky i am; rather its the opposite. I'm pronouncing my gratitude for my luckiness through sarcasm. i'm sorry if you were offended but this poem is deeper than you read it

Anny_Grace This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oh, okay cool, I picked up on the sarcasm but i wasn't really sure.... glad you have such great parents :)

She-who-loves-love said...
Clever, clever. funny, well-written, and oh-so-true. Wonderful :)

DinaTheDinasaur said...
This was great--very true.

TheNoToRioUsBaBYGurL said...
Wow! this is so good!!!!!! Love it

Xatyrn said...
Wow, I'm glad I found this. Most of the poetry I've sifted through on this site tend to be a little cliche and follow basic rhyme schemes, but this poem here is my kind of poem. I give you kudos for this. And I've also considered the notion of being so blessed and therefore having no insane mind to conjure up horrific, epic writing, heheh. Maybe we can all just walk through some dark alleyways for a change. ;D Ahem, anywho, keep writing!

Thanks so much!

splinteredsunlight said...
Haha I love this. It's so clever

Grace4297 said...
I really enjoyed this and I can completely relate. Good work.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it, i've looked at your work and it also is great

WaltWhitman99 said...
This piece is great. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and contemplating. Thank you so much, i can't wait to look for more from this very auspicious young man. Teen Ink should put him in the Newsletter!

happilyeverafternot replied...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:51 am
I can totally relate to this! I love this. Its very real.