My Parents This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am irate
With my parents

They are unaware
Of how difficult they have made
Poetry
For me

They seem to have forgotten the
number one
Tool
In a poet's arsenal

They seem to have forgotten
That hundreds of poets have
Established
Their craft purely on
Their deleterious and
Stifling childhoods

It would appear that my parents
Are not in support
Of my poetry because they
Do not provide me with
Inspiration
For my writing

They are
Too loving
Too caring
Too supportive
To have much to
Write about

Unfortunately,
I am mentally sane,
Without horrifying childhood scars,
Without deep emotional conflictions,
Without hate and anger pumping through my
Circulatory system

It is a pity
That I have been raised in
An affectionate
Warm, Vibrant, and Encouraging
Community

I will never make it as a poet,
With an exceptional childhood

I have had it
Either my parents afflict me
With these conditions,
Or I will afflict myself

Until then
I must endure
The pain and suffering

And am forced
To have subjects
Such as this
For poems

escape-the-insanityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm:
Sorry but I don't like this. I don't think all poets have some great wound and that's what makes them good, some poets right of being in love, which is by no means a wound. And you seem to be describing the perfect childhood, which does not exist

Andres V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm :
you don't have to like it, its just supposed to make you think. seems to me though that a bunch of people do like it so i don't know man.

HazyeyesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:46 am :
By the way, a perfect childhood can exist! but only if you make it that way. Besides a perfect childhood is a matter of opinion, you might think you had a perfect childhood because you had cake once a month. (i never get cake once a month) ps. please read rate and comment on my work!!

Kai17 said...
Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm:
It seems to me that this is stating a very apparent fact; most poetry seems to be of the "tortured soul" nature. This provides a welcome relief. Believe me, the tortured soul style is good, writes well and is interesting to read, but shouldn't be all that poetry is about.

moosiemas said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm:
This is true in the sense that experiencing trauma at an early age condemns one to lifelong pain... But pain and trauma are not the only emotions one can feel. Look up Robert Frost, his poems are full of beauty, the warmth and comfort you describe your parents give you. Artistic nature isn't grown from bad experiences.

Doves_and_Ravens said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 7:31 pm:
This poem is sort of selfish. Would you want to grow up in horror? Do you want a bad childhood? You should be lucky with what you have, but somehow, people always seem to want more. Why is the world so selfish? Why?

AndresV This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm :
You missed the point of the poem. Its not at all supposed to be literal, which i was pretty sure I made obvious. it's supposed to actually serve the opposite of how you took it; I'm being grateful for what i have.

Michaela M. replied...
Feb. 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm :
the point of the poem is the opposite of what she writes about...its like reverse psychology-and the way it is written is amazeing- limmony snicket wrote something like this for nanowrimo(.com) to help incurage us to continue writing thanks for this poem i had a smile on my face for the whole time and laughed at the end.

NickyJ said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 4:54 pm:
Great poem. Message is clear and pretty clever at that. I wish I could say the same about my life though XD

Let-Love-In said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 3:08 pm:
i think this is so different and creative. i know some people are saying that its not fair of you to write it because you are "complaining" about having a good childhood. but i see where you are coming from, its almost humorous. i really loved it!

bluewordsandpurpleheartsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm:
i like where you went with this poem. its fresh and different. i like it (:

WynterrX said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm:
Wow! Very clever. It's true for me as well. I lived a happy childhood and am still extremely happy! Unfortunately, this causes all my poems to be fiction... I really like this. It makes you stand out from other poets in a really cool way!

OwenDark said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm:
It's just too choppy for me. Personally I enjoy long and flowing poems/stories. Cute plot though.

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:31 pm:
Very amusing. I often feel the same way... perhaps going deeper into your suffering, the way abused poets do, could be an edit? I like it.

Scripturient_Scribbler This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 10:57 pm:
fantastic!

C.K.Snow said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm:
Very clever and interesting. Makes you stand out from other writers. Good job

dojojak said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm:
I think it very clever

Andres V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm:
For anyone out there reading, this piece is not intended to be direct and straightforward. its quite the opposite. through this i'm admitting to my luckiness and being grateful for it, through sarcasm. I find many poets overexaggerate there life experiences, so to counteract that i'm just trying to be me

Caravana said...
Feb. 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm:
Why be the same as all other poets? With your experiences in life you will go further and have different topics that will touch the hearts of those who have a similar childhood :)

invisibleme said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:49 am:
it's wel written i agree and quite original but i'm sorry your writing because your parents are too loving?! My dad left me before i was born and my mom works al the time and doesn't seem to notice or care how i feel about anything. I was raised by my grandparents practically till mom was "able". Yet your writing about how your life sucks because it doesn't suck? It's clever and all but...i don't know it's slightly insensitive