My Hands Are Empty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Your green, green dress made me laugh.
This is as nice as it will ever get
You said, and your knees were bruised
Above red shoes ill-matched and still wet
With puddles of dirty rain.
Would you like to dance? My hands
are empty,
And your dress is green as love and coarse as memory

We are made of layers, layers, layers,
That has always been the way
And in season we shed these layers
Until there is nothing left to lose

And when you went home and peeled off that green, green dress,
Inside there was a girl
Small and fair and young as anything;
Inside her was a woman
Strong and lovely, coursing energy,
And inside her, an old, old soul
An old, old heart,
A tree;
Green as love and coarse as memory,
Slowly
Shedding
Its leaves

Still, I cannot abstract you,
But what will be left of us
When we have lost every layer
And shed every shell?
What will we find together
In the cupped hollow of the hands of
friendship's love?
Who can tell?

Love is
God is
Love
In empty hands

Waltz (2, 3)

Waltz (2, 3)

We danced the most terrible waltz (2, 3)
Oh, but our words danced incredibly free
And so sparse like the dances of stars
That our feet no longer mattered to us;
We were alone and time was ours
(2, 3)
(2, 3)
2,
3,
Fin
Thank you
This is as nice as
It will ever get,
You said.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 26, 2012 at 3:44 am
Thank you so much. Your comment is truly encouraging, and it is an honor that you have read my work this deeply. 

zoekibbelaarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the image that the layers gave me, like I could see the tree inside the old soul inside the woman inside the girl inside the layered green dress. I also liked how each layer got more and more personal, almost like the woman and the tree were hiding behind the girl and the dress. I also liked how the layer idea was re-mentioned with the counting of the waltz, almost like the tempo of the music was the outermost layer of a bubble that the two characters were trapped in.

AngelsKiss This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 24, 2012 at 9:12 am
This had really good rhythem to it, and i like how the dance part created a image in my mind that flowed winderfully 5/5 please read some of my work and comment

sophza said...
It flowed really well, and I loved the idea of a tree inside of a person, under all of the layers!

PaigeStreet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you! It is a fun idea, isn't it?

LifesIllusion said...
I almost loved the way you set up the poem as much as the words! You have a skill at writing with detail and imagery. Just beautiful. 5/5 stars

MoraleAsh said...
I really enjoyed the format of this poem and the content is beautiful!

musicispassion said...
Aug. 5, 2011 at 1:02 am
this is such a fun and free spirited poem i love it i love the way old souls sounds

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like how you put in the numbers. That's the rythm or something of the waltz, right? It would be cool if you scattered the numbers through the whole poem. Like all this is going through the narrators head as he's dancing.

Zildj This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 13, 2011 at 1:03 am
Thanks! great idea. Actually, thats sort of the idea. It begins with a request to dance, and it takes so long before the music starts, but once the dance begins, it ends so quickly. Halfway through the dance stanza, it loses the 3/4 meter anyway. 

DeusExMachina said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:03 am
Wow. Seriously. This is like, spectacular. Its sooo good... and it reminds me of my own style. Amazing job :) *adds to favorites*

Abby-Kay said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 12:20 am
I love this poem

RheaD.Ravenfinger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
<3 The picture goes so well with this poem. The poem is beautiful. :)