Surrendering to the Sea

Caught up in a wave of bliss,
Then pulled under by pain.
A tsunami of longing
A hurricane of doubt
The dark waves are raging.

The current: too good to be true.
Smooth sailing ahead-
You and me on the beach,
Our love flowing and ebbing with the tide.

Suddenly
The water becomes rough,
Violent and uncontrollable.
I try to grip your hand
Yet you drop mine
Like an ugly, broken shell
And I am ripped away
I drift out to sea.

I am cradled by the waves,
The surf rocks me back and forth,
Comforting me
Though the water damage just caused
Is irreparable.

I turn my back
On that once beautiful beach
And surrender to the sea.

HaleyDRog. said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 7:00 pm:
I really love this. You had amazing imagery!

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 8:59 am :
Thanks! Imagery is my favorite :)

Ambershort said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:10 pm:
This was amazing! I have a poem that's very similiar to this in which I also give myself to the waves. Keep writing!

Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm :
Thank you :) I'm glad you can relate!

Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:13 pm :
I'd love to check it out, whats it called?

Ambershort replied...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:14 pm :
I haven't posted it yet! I just got a new computer and I still have to transfer allmy work to this one. It will be up soon though!

Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:18 pm :
Haha okay :)

CarolynQ said...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:52 am:
The imagery is just indescriably good, I can feel and see your vision clearly. Love the last stanza, it's my favorite

Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:25 am :
Thank you :) The last stanza is the first one I wrote, I just added to it to create a stronger image :D

WishfulDoerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 19, 2011 at 9:53 pm:
I can't even tell you how much I can relate to this. You're kiiind of amazing. (: KEEP WRITING FOR POOP'S SAKE

Jun. 20, 2011 at 9:33 am :
Haha yay! Thanks a million!! :D

alanacarlene said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm:
"Cradled by the sea" I love that it stood out! And your endings always give me goosebumps because they're always so good and just so you know you're really a beautiful shell and one day when the right person finds you, he'll treasure you and never let your hand go. You'll find him and it won't be a lie. Promise! <x3 cross my heart

Jun. 14, 2011 at 9:37 am :
Thank you so much dear :) I know it will, eventually even though it seems like I won't find anyone. Well its not even that really, I just am tired of being with guys and putting so much into it to get nothing back :P Oh well. haha

alanacarlene replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm :
Yea I totally understand

jamesacolson said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm:
this is very powerful i can relate to this because alot of my relationships have been like this awsome pieace of work and your good looking.

Jun. 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm :
It sucks, huh? Thank you :)