Mulberries | Teen Ink

Mulberries

By DeusExMachina SILVER, Reading, Pennsylvania
DeusExMachina SILVER, Reading, Pennsylvania

The universe was exploding, each particle away from the next, hurtling us into dark and lonely space, eternally tearing us away from each other--child out of the womb, friend away from friend, moving from each other, each through his own pathway toward the goal-box of solitary death

I think I wish I were a bird.
If I was a bird, I wouldn’t
Choose to fly. It seems much
Too obvious. Anticipated.

I’d simply sit there
Under the Mulberry tree and savor
The knowledge that I could fly
If I so wished.

Except that I would not wish,
And therefore I would not fly.

In the light of gold and blue
I’d hear the language of the Old,
And the songs of an Eternity.

Stretching my wings
To remind myself of their presence.

I wonder what it would be like
To sit wallowing
in a pool of my own potential.
Knowing all the extraordinary things
I could do, yet spiting the Universe
As I sat, not doing any of them.

Yes, I wish I were a bird.

Thank you!

on Jun. 7 2011 at 11:15 am
RandomInspiration GOLD, Schulenburg, Texas

Laugh as much as you breathe, and love as long as you live <3

Brilliant...such deep thinking

Thank you so much! It really means a lot to me :)

foreveroctober GOLD, Pompton Plains, New Jersey

"Life, he realized, was much like a song. In the beginning there is mystery, in the end there is confirmation, but it's the middle where all the emotion resides to make the whole thing worthwhile." - The Last Song, Nicholas Sparks

This is great! So well written and very interesting. keep writing, this is a truly excellent peice. i saw your video, congratulations on your first place win. great job!

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Your welcome! Will you please read one of my poems? I will put the link on my profile... the poem is called " Finding the Adventure in Life" Thanks!

Thanks so much!

"live your poem" was supposed to be "love your poem" sorry for the typo.

Wow! Great job! I live your poem and I think it is very creative. I wish I was a bird too but, if I was a bird I definitely would wish to fly. Anyway, great job. I also saw your video for this poem, congrats on winning first place and keep writing. :)