Angela

That pale little hand being led to the bedroom
Those corduroy jeans being tossed to the floor
That innocent smile as he leans in to kiss her
The green of her eyes as they lay down for more
The very same eyes I caught reading Harry Potter past their bedtime.

Those bouncy red curls flattened against the bedspread
Twisted and tangled and coated in gel
Those delicate hands exploring his body
Those tiny girl’s hands, that I knew so well
The very same that shook me awake year after year on Christmas morning.

What happened to the little princess?
The cross country runner?
The sweet baby girl?

The science fair champion:
Arching her back and closing her eyes
gasping and panting and
pulling him closer
To the body I held in the hospital.

The clumsy ballerina:
Being rocked back and forth
Going limp with pleasure
Sighing satisfied
With the voice that asked me for a later bed time.

My rosy cheeked child who loved musical theatre
and wore purple sweaters
is gone.

Laura_Oliver said...
This is really amazing. I'm not old enough yet to hear of friends doing that, so this is kind of a warning to me. Message received. Plus I would really appreciate if you could check out my other poems and leave some feedback.

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

"pulling him closer to the body I held in the hospital..."

Your choice of words sends chills up my spine.

ohheyyyelli said...
Wow, I really love this. For one, the meaning is amazing. The flow is great. The imagery too! Very well written. Overall brilliant poem[:

. said...
This is beautiful! The description on the side really helped.

Ashley M. said...
What an excellent poem. I would appreciate your comments on my poem, Briar Rose

Ines R. said...
this is great!

Angie.Hudak This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I am totally in love with this poem. I did the same thing, went behind my mother's back to have s.ex. And it soon spiraled out of control...but that's a different story. You're an amazing writer. If you get the chance, check out some of my writing. It's about the same kind of situations!

Duckie430 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:27 am
great poem!

CookeysAndCream said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 9:17 am
The comparisons were great, and you did a great job with the mother's perspective. It's very strong. Keep it up!

GenevieveR said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 7:36 am
Great poem! 4/5 I agree it's sad but only because the teen went behind Angela's back and wasn't honest to her mother about her decision in becoming s.exually active, so it hurt A's feelings. But every parent must go through this when their child becomes s. active.. feelings of "losing" their child, etc.

Rarity replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:25 am
yes, but not every child becomes s. active before marriage...maybe the parent wasn't expecting for her child to take that step just yet.

loveylol said...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 12:35 am
I think it is very good.and you should like make it longer.

purplelessskin said...
i loved the comparisons of the things she did as a child and having sex and how you connected them with her eyes and hands and being a ballerina. I liked how you went back and forth between memories and imagining in a really fluid way. Can you comment on my poems? (some are still pending approval)

thecape196 said...
that was an amazing poem!!! keep writing please! and if you have time can you review my work? thank you so much(:

inkers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 10, 2011 at 1:06 am
This is very strong, and well written. The rythm added so much to this. Very well done. <3

Ellimee Pawn said...
I love how you turned one of your experiences into something everyone can understand. I feel the sorrow so deeply, you must be close to an adult!

Writer126 said...
Wow! That was amazing! I could really feel the emotion in that peice! Keep writing :)

Joele12 said...
Jun. 30, 2011 at 11:15 am
wow being caught taking birth control pills without your mom making a fuss about it makes you feel alot more worse taking behind her back. the look that mom gave her would probably haunt me too. but you did a god job inspiring it into a talented poem. keep up the good work.

paperandpen said...
amaaazing poem..

topofmylungs said...
Wow. Thats all I have to say.