The Ones I Left

The Ones I left
were a whine in my ear

year after year

their images burned inside my mind
like fire
Frigid since the last sighting
Like an
inescapable mosquito, they kept
biting

So I decided to go back
to the nest I left too early

When I returned
I heard whispers of
me—
gone then back again
—woven from bits and shreds of rumors,
but mostly truth

I went to see how the scene had
contorted
How the mountains had
tumbled
How my waves had
eroded

And then I saw One:
maybe a father
(or perhaps a brother)
His cheeks were stained red with angry tears
The joints on his hands were rusted
Hands that once fed me
Hands that I rusted
(Hopes that I busted)

dawnof17 said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 9:08 am
I'm hooked. I can't get enough of your poetry. I just have to shake my head in wonder.

EmilyRosebud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 9:10 am
Thanks!!! But I acually hated poetry before we had a fun week of lessons about it in English class. It just goes to show that school is useful for something! :P

Kayla E. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 9:15 am
Augh, then you caught on fast. Do you remember the tip or pointer that showed you suddenly how beautiful poetry is? Or was there one lesson you remember that opened the way for a sudden stream of poems from you?

Jul. 14, 2011 at 9:21 am
Well, there were two people that came to our school from a college nearby who taught poetry there and they were just really crazy, outgoing people that made school fun for a week :))) But we did this one excercise that was reallly fun...we had written random words down on little slips of paper each day and put them in a bucket, then one day we just grabbed handfuls of the words and threw it all around the room. Then we had to find pairs of words that randomly fell right next to them and use them... (more »)

Jul. 14, 2011 at 9:26 am
Ahh, I should have been there :)

Jul. 14, 2011 at 9:33 am
I don't know if that helped at all, but we didd other things too. But most of all, I think I just had to try out poetry, get comfortable with it. I never really gave it a chance until that unit. Ok, I have to take a shower now! Bye!!! Nice talking with you :D

I wish I had you for a constant supporter for my poetry. I have email friends that help me along, but none that have that absolutely never-before-seen imagination that you have. I'm astounded. I'd feel very priviledged to have you on my case every time I posted something, and if you could even give me pointers --like where you see something I could change to make it more beautiful. You seem like someone I could flip my poems to and you would be careful with them. Am I right?

Sure! That sounds fun. You mean what you post on Teenink or in email?

on email. its so much easier and quicker. and it seems so much more...friendly, you know?

Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:43 am
Yeah. And more organized.

dawnof17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
right, right, right. i so can't wait.