What is Love

Love is like a river
That flows to a sea
It’s there one minute and gone the next
It knows all but yet, it isn’t complex

Love is more than one feeling
Its anger
Its hate
Its joy and happiness
It’s also complete madness

Love is full of hatred
Telling you “You’re not good enough”
Its words hurt like hearing a child cry
It makes you wanna die

Love is more than smiles
Saying “I love you”
Is almost a lie

Love is an action
You can not show with words
Love is holding my hand as I cay
Love is drying my tears
While watching our child die

Love is surrounding me in your sweet embrace
When your touch is soft as lace

So, what is love?
Do you have an answer?
Love is pure
It can’t be described as an emotion...

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
good job! you basically summed up all of love in one poem. the only thing i didn't like was the 4th stanza, but i still liked it

super_nerd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 10:18 pm:
I see that you are trying to evoke some strong emotions! I wasnt expecting one line in particular...gave me heart pangs. Beautiful in that sense. One thing I would change, if it wouldnt mess it up, is "hate" or "hatred." just because they're basically the same word, so it sounds repetitive. Maybe you could switch one out for something close to it

um...did you post a compliment on here of your own poem?

HighOnEverythingButLove said...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 9:46 am:
lol no this is gonna make me sound really dorky but i left it up on the computer screen and my mother went to get on facebook and she commented on it lol i've requested to delete it but it hasnt done so yet

Apr. 5, 2011 at 11:43 am:
ok cause i was really confused :)

HighOnEverythingButLove said...
Yeah i was kinda confused to when i seen it as well :)

Sammiekay said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm:

thats...powerful!

meaningful! its really good, the only thing i would change is extreme words. you know how to engage your reader you just need to make sure you still relate..

well thats my opinion....

it was really GOOD!! 4/5

DaughterofEvil said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm:
Beautiful.....5/5. I'm simply speechless.

snowleopard100 replied...
May 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm :
This is a really great poem- it describes basically what makes up love and it's enigmatic characteristics. The only flaw I see is that there no figurative ideas-it's all a very literal description of what love is. To make this poem flawless, I would think of some intriguing imagery and fresh metaphors-other than that, awesome