And so I pledge to myself. | Teen Ink

And so I pledge to myself.

February 11, 2011
By Teddy SILVER, Flemington, New Jersey
Teddy SILVER, Flemington, New Jersey
5 articles 2 photos 9 comments

The people that do illegal things are the ones that pledge allegiance to the flag.
The ones that are uninformed pledge allegiance to the flag.
The ones that do not read into the laws pledge allegiance to the flag.

The ones that want to do good do not pledge allegiance to the flag.
The ones that are informed do not pledge allegiance to the flag.
The ones that know the laws pledge allegiance to the flag.

The one that wears the hat is the one that pledges allegiance to the flag.
The one that is always talking is the one that pledges to the flag.

The one that takes his hat off is the one that does not pledge allegiance to the flag.
The one that is always reverent is the one that pledges to the flag.

It's said that people who do not pledge are un-American.
It's said that the people who do not pledge are commies.
It's said that the people who do not pledge take the freedoms they have for granted.

Do they?

In reality it's the ones that do not pledge that are living the American dream.
In reality it's the ones that do not pledge that agree with equality.
In reality it's the ones that do not pledge that embrace being the freedoms granted.

It's taught that you must pledge allegiance to the flag from a young age.
It's never taught what the true meaning is.

The meaning is pledging allegiance to the government.

When in reality.

The meaning is for you to discover on your own.

Those who pledge allegiance to the flag do not understand that they don't have to.
Those who do not pledge allegiance to the flag understand that they are supposed to put faith into their own thoughts and ideas and not just some flag that represent people of a higher power.

To those that pledge allegiance the flag..the flag represents the resignation of equality. The recognition of the superior governmental force.
To those that do not pledge allegiance to the flag..the flag represents equality. The thinking with ones own head.

And so I say..

I pledge allegiance
to the flag of my freedom for myself, and to the thoughts for which I stand, one body under myself, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all,
Regardless of race or creed.


The author's comments:
Why I don't pledge.