Never Grow Up

I sit in front of the screen and laugh as a bucktooth boy and his pink and green fairies poof around the screen. I stifle my laughter as I sit under the covers reading about my favorite redhead freckled boy who is once again trapped in a love triangle and cry as I sit in the dark theatre watching Andy race around the backyard with our favorite cowboy for the final time. As we grow, we believe we are too old for childhood but as time passes we realize that we still cling to the things we once held dear. We turn to the be-speckled aardvark with annoying sisters and the football headed boy with an unhealthy stalker. We deck our fangirl T-shirts and shine our 90’s memorabilia as we watch Lizzie McGuire and Rugrats. We leave childhood behind, just to return to it later with impish grins plastered upon our faces. Every time I pass an R.V I remember Eliza Thornberry and her Commvee with her loveable ape Darwin and every time I am in chemistry class I remember Dexter and his younger sister DiDi puttering around in his laboratory. In a way I will never forget these animated symbols as I move from childhood into my teens and eventually adulthood because every time I play football I remember Arnold, every time I see an R.V I remember Eliza, when I see a cowboy I remember Woody and when I see a bald baby with a toy screw driver I remember Tommy. I will never be too old for the cherished parts of my childhood and Tommy, Arnold, Arthur, Eliza, Zim, Doug, Ginger and all the rest will always hold a special place in my heart.