So i run... | Teen Ink

So i run...

By llothamer16 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
llothamer16 BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

I step out onto my porch. I hit play. Music flows throw my mind. It tells my thoughts to retreat for now. As I reach the bottom of the steps, they listen. So I run…

The day is still warm, even though the sun has already started to sink into the night. It casts my bouncing shadow across the pavement. So I run…
I can smell the fresh cut grass. Ducking from the tree limbs that hang to low. Leaping over deep cracks in the pavement. I breathe in the air. Still tasting the summer that has left us too soon. So I run…

My mind has welcomed a gentle numbness. Focusing only on my breathing and movement. It forgets about the day. The ups the downs. They are all pointless. So I run…

I meet with a sprinkler. I can feel its tiny droplets splash against me. Cool. Refreshing on my hot skin. They beg me to come and play, glistening in the little light that’s left. But I refuse. So I run…

The house is coming up. The house that holds so many memories. The for sale sign in the yard. The grass overgrown. Still missing the best friend who had to move. So I run…

The emotions swell after I pass the house. But my clear mind can only hear the steady beat of the music. The dainty silver necklace jumps around my neck. It keeps time with my moving feet. So I run…
The end is in sight. Back home. I know what is waiting for me. Barking dogs. A pile of home work. The warm scent of dinner. The thoughts start to flow out. Ready to return. So I run…

Running is what i do when i have problems to fix or time to spare. I wrote this after my best friend moved away. It's dedicated to her.

Miss Liz said...

I run.... too.

And you described the feeling I get when.

I run...

Beautifully done.