So I Walk... | Teen Ink

So I Walk...

December 13, 2010
By Aleta Friedeman BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
Aleta Friedeman BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The school day has finally come to an end. After the hard work and stress, I need some time to unwind and have a blast. So I walk… I gather three of my friends and am ready for the twenty minutes to begin. We start our journey up Summertree Lane, side by side, like we have done a thousand times before. So I walk…

It’s a beautiful day and the wind blows back my hair, as the sun’s rays enthusiastically beat down on me. I think to myself how blessed I am. So I walk… The chatting never seems to falter on this trip, with the drama of the day and the newest homecoming dates. The familiar voices calming me. So I walk…

I see house after house, some welcoming, some weary. But one thing remains constant; it’s a home to a family. I see freshly chopped green grass growing and trees gently swaying and take a moment to admire the nature. So I walk … As we approach the bustling elementary school ground, I see hundreds of young children as I once was. I think about my lovely childhood memories… So I walk.

I smell the new fall coming and see the leaves changing to red, orange, and yellow. I desire autumn to come, with it, jack-o-lanterns, cider and fun. So I walk… The cross country club runs and we say hi to everyone. Some rush past, and some stop to talk to us for a rest. The sidewalk ahead stretches way far on So I walk…

I see cars buzzing by and watch the traffic light change from green to yellow to red. I am happy to be up on my feet and not in a stuffy car. So I walk… We approach our street, and I am sad this journey has come to an end. But, I am greeted warmly by my home and I know that tomorrow this time will come again So I walk…