On the Outside

On the outside I am smiling
But inside there is sadness
On the outside I am laughing
But I am crying down within
On the outside I tease
But really it breaks my heart
To see you with her and not with me

On the outside I seem so excited
On the inside I am screaming
On the outside I am whole
But shattered on the in
On the outside I have bliss
Uneasiness actually running through my veins
I know that this is how it’s meant to seem

On the outside I am lying
The truth within all the inside crevices
On the outside I am carefree
Really caring about nothing else
On the outside I am watching
But sensitive to everything I find
This is how it is, how it always will be

KylieKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Phlogiston, you have just done the very thing a writer is supposed to do; you made me fall in love with the emotions involved in the character. Bravo!

I completely forgot that I was on my laptop for a moment, it spoke so loud!

By the way, being alone while watching someone else be with the one you love is an awful feeling. (Story of my life!)

But don't you think that it's supposed to be that way, for us as artists? Don't you notice how the most succesful poets and writers... (more »)

phlogiston This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:28 am
I totally agree! My parents think I should only write little happy things, but I feel like I have to write the things that are really going on in our lives. Thank you so much! But hey I think writers should sometimes get happy endings too. I mean I just waited a little longer and it happened to me. :)

KylieKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Oh, of course! We do get happy endings, as well, but in the context of your poem I was talking about endurance.

Congrats on your happy ending! (By the way, some people think my poetry is too depressing, as well. But where else can I vent?)

Best wishes in your craft!

- Kylie

falling10ssupernova said...
lol i can totally relate to this too one of my best friends is dating the kid that ive liked for years it sucks having to be happy for them

It's just terrible isn't it!