Darken The Lights And Leave Me Here

Darken the lights and leave me here,
I need to soak up the atmosphere.
So let me wander in the dark
Into steel pipes and panel frames.
I’ll grow accustomed to it all
With a few fractures and toothaches.
Every door that I think I can see
Will be a new hole in your basement wall.
It would be easier to admit my mistakes,
But that would defeat the purpose of it all…
-plus you wouldn’t call the ambulance anyway.
Just keep poking and prodding at me.
All these holes will make me like a sponge
To soak up any shards of glass that may fly.
So the next time you set this house on fire
Just darken the lights and leave me here
So I can soak up this atmosphere.

Miss_OrangeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 23 at 4:35 am:
wow. 

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 24 at 5:28 pm :
Thanks for the wow. Haha!

Miss_OrangeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 25 at 9:29 am :
you're welcome but I am sorry, that was the only thing I could think of typing...I didn't know what else to say, it's just that good.

Aderes18 said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm:
This poem is a great interpretation of abuse. It's really something. :) 

Jul. 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm :
haha. yoiure so awesome. i love how you just pop up everywhere. i love you captain.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm:

You're poems are so perfectly dark! One is at first inclined to be depressed, but then at a closer inspection realizes that the narrator or subject is somewhat noncommital, even sarcastic. That makes it so much easier to submit to the power of the poetry.

"Darken the lights and leave me here, so I can soak up the atmosphere." I must love it, and I do.

Jul. 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm :
youre so freakin awesome for commentating captian. you are awesome and i am loveing the feedbakam. it is that i am saying these same things again and again over but it is that i am meaning them.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm :

You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome. You are quite welcome.

I find no problem with repitition.

Jul. 6, 2011 at 4:52 pm :
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! youre so funny captain. tu es tres amusante.

trapped-in-a-broken-wonderland said...
May 17, 2011 at 8:58 am:
this is amazing!!! it made me want to cry.....

May 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm :
yahhh! merci tres beacoup. je suis tres contente.

alanacarlene said...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 10:54 am:

I really really like this!

Especially:

"Just keep poking and prodding at me.
To soak up any shards of glass that may fly."

Superb!

HasntWrittenInAgesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm :
actually, i thought that part was where the music stopped and the those crickets...-i wont tell if you wont. shhh...taissez-vous. merci captain.

alanacarlene replied...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 10:19 am :
haha you're welcome ok i have a question to the dude that speaks french.... does J'taime mean "love" or "i love you" or something?

Feb. 7, 2011 at 1:15 am :
the second one. i love you. i kinda meant i like you but okay,...if you want to go there...

alanacarlene replied...
Feb. 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm :
Yeah no i gotcha haha i was just wonderin what it really meant haha you've inspired me to want to and one day learn the romantic language of french! haha

Feb. 7, 2011 at 7:01 pm :
freakin......awesome. perhaps maybe i could show you a bit. merci= thank you. there. youre a master. now go away. sike! please do stay captain.

alanacarlene replied...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm :

haha adios! ...

juuuust kidding! all i know in french is merci, oui, non, parlez vous francais, and j'taime! hahaha

Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:02 pm :
would you like to extend that?

alanacarlene replied...
Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm :
Yeah! I'd love to extend it haha