Nobody Ever Told Me | Teen Ink

Nobody Ever Told Me

By Martamoo BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Martamoo BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

“A girl without a man is like a fish without a bike.”
"Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it." -Mahatma Gandhi

Nobody ever told me I would fall in love at 15, and then break his heart.

Nobody ever told me I would be constantly cold. When it’s 80 degrees outside, I never knew that I’d be in sweatpants, slippers, a jacket, and a hat. So I guess it’s perfect that I live in Colorado, a place covered in snow 60% of the year.

Nobody ever told me that I would fail at keeping a cactus or goldfish alive. R.I.P Balthazar.

Nobody ever told me that I would fall madly in love with travel; that the lure of foreign places would seduce me and drag me into its inescapable grasp. There’s just so much wonder and beauty to see in the world.

Nobody ever told me that my biggest fear would be the future; the unknown. I never knew I would be so undecided and freak out about that fact.

Nobody ever told me that writing, my cat, and chocolate would be my three best friends.

Nobody ever told me that I would fall passionately in love with the art of photography. I never knew that capturing simple moments on film could be so beautifully invigorating.

Nobody ever told me that racing cars could be so fun. I discovered the sensation of driving away from life and leaving all my problems in the dust.

Nobody ever told me that stars could be so breathtaking and mesmerizing, sparkling up in the big dark blue night sky.

Nobody ever told me that my spine wouldn’t be straight, and that it would cause a basketful of medical problems. Damn you tall genetics.

Nobody ever told me that I would lose all faith and trust in my family, my parents, especially my sister. I never knew I would be so alone.

Nobody ever told me how vital music would be in my life. That creating music with an instrument could be so liberating and peaceful. I never knew it would become my outlet, my passion, my savior.

Nobody ever told me that my favorite pastime would be watching movies, or that I would spend hours every week inside those dark movie theaters with a projector whirring overhead.

Nobody ever told me that sitting on a quiet beach alone, watching the waves ebb and flow, feeling the hot sun on my skin, would be my favorite feeling in the whole wide world.

What didn't anybody ever tell you?