I Am Strong

I am not weak.
Though tremors rack my body
And speed my pulse;
Though pain opens my tear ducts
And crushes my heart into dust -
I can look into your eyes
Through the waves of pain.
Memories carry me
And help me through
A sliver of hope, pushing too.
Yet you don't even consider me
Worthy of a glance -
You can't look me in the eye
'Cuz you don't have the strength,
Your doubts heavier than mine
Would cause you to sink.
But when your eyes
Finally lock onto mine
YOU are the strong one.
As my eyes fill with tears
You hold it all together
While my poker face slips
No emotion is in your eyes.
These are the final seconds
Our eyes will ever meet
And I'm lost from the present,
Remembering the past.
Never before
Have your eyes been so empty
And I hope they're empty
From this point on,
So no one else sees them as bright
As they once were for me.
I voice my feelings
The best that I can
But your lips don't move and
Your eyes show nothing
To help me understand.
So this one-sided release
Has opened my eyes.
I had the courage to break the silence
That was breaking my heart.
You didn't respond
But I did my part;
Though you're the one who walked away,
I am strong.

ThisGirlWillMakeMistakes said...
Your an AMAZING writer i seriously wish i could write as amazing as you. whenever i read one of your poems i get a cold shiver. I know you have been through some stuff but maybe it is for the best, i mean if it never happened you would have never been able to write poetry this deep and this beautiful. So whenever you are going through stuff and it seems like the end of the world write it into a poem because the world could definately use some more of your amazing poetry. Thanks for writing.(:

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:58 am
Wow. Thank you so much. You have no idea how much your comment means to me :) Writing is like... the only thing that helps me move on. Its my crutch, my medicine, my blood. So knowing what I write can help the world heal too means SO much :D

CarolynQ said...
Jun. 20, 2011 at 10:48 am
You put your heart into what you write and I can tell you have a natural ability to get your point across in a fantastic and beautiful manner. Good job this is extremely well written and thought out and I'll definitely be taking the time to go through your poetry so be prepared to get some lengthy comments :)

Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:24 am
Thank you SO much :) Everyone has their own way of coping and poetry is definitely mine. I would still be struggling with a lot if I hadn't found a way to release it through writing.

drmstarlet21 said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

Alexandria...that is a most beautiful name to go along with an excessively gorgeous poem.

It is very deep. I feel for you, remembering past heartaches, as anyone should when reading something such as this.

I am impressed. :)

I am mesmerized. *.*

I am wondering. ^.^

Though I adore what Alana mentioned, my favorite part is:

"These are the final seconds our eyes will ever meet, and I'm lost from the present, remembering the past."

Fantastic job. K... (more »)

Thank you SO much :D The way I cope with difficult, heart-shattering situations like this is to try and make them beautiful in their pain. Your comment means a lot to me :)

drmstarlet21 replied...
Your are quite welcome :) I do the very same thing, such as with All Dreams End.

alanacarlene said...

This is good and I can feel the heart ache myself just reading it makes my heart hurt a lil

I really liked this part!:

"While my poker face slips
No emotion is in your eyes."

And the very end too,

"Though you're the one who walked awy, I am stong."

GO ALEX!!!!!! :)  

Thanks Alana. Writing this is one of the big things that helped get me through it. :)

aquarist2012 said...
HECK YEA!!! First to comment!! Anyways, Alexandria this is a SUPER, AWESOME, GREAT, LOVELY, KIND, and everything else poem!!!!!

Nov. 9, 2010 at 6:16 am
Haha. Thanks so much :)