Ballet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Satin slippers, with limbs of ribbon
edges frayed from time and use
overuse.
Countless hours wasted practicing precise dance forms that audiences will never truly appreciate.
Her bone structure screams for
freedom from regimented rehearsals and
strict standards.
She longs for a stage under soft, twinkling lights where her
emotions guide her movements; where
rules
and instructors are not needed.
She longs for the day where
anyone can showcase their soul through movement
without the looming fear of heavy
and harsh criticism.
Her individuality will be praised;
her spirit will be longed for among those who watch with
adoring eyes.
They will glide past one another,
like leaves in a summer breeze.
Toes pointed, ribbons laced
and spotlights casting soft circles
on the bare, dusty stage.

bev234 said...
That poem is amazing .I am only twelve but my ballet teacher pushes me over my limmit

IWillDream54 said...
I am actaully a ballet dancer myself, and this poem really hit home... I loved the way you wrote it and basically just everything about it. Keep writing, because it's very obvious you are AMAZING. :)

Euphrates717 said...
This poem is beautiful. I was once a ballet dancer myself (for ten years, actually. I started when I was three), so I understand exactly how she feels. the language of this is beautiful, the flow is perfect, the imagery wonderful. I think my favorite part would be this: 'Countless hours wasted practicing precise dance forms that audiences will never truly appreciate' because it's so true. She does it because she loves to, not because she loves the praise. This poem is amazing. I hope you write m... (more »)

Athena17 replied...
I second this! I am a ballet dancer and I understand the struggles and countless hours of gruelling practices and constant critisism that go hand in hand with this art form. Yet we dance because this is our way of expressing ourselves. This poem is beautiful and extremely well written! Keep it up :)