When It's Over

When this is over the slaughter house will rot
And as far as bacterial infections go-
Salt will be the cause of them all.
Doctors that make discoveries will die
Along with the patients they were trying to cure.
All the infections will stars off in their worst stages
And the hurricanes will come without warning.
The schizophrenics that aren’t let into the shelters
Will probably imagine a better ending than this.

When this is over it will take more than
The hope of encouragement and
empty promises to pull us back on our feet.
We won’t be nearly half of our accomplishments
And our excuses will never be good enough.
We’ll soon see the truth in our reflections,
When the walls of makeup aren’t thick enough
To hide behind anymore. We won’t be as fascinated
By diamond rings, and gold and what not,
And it wont take harsh sunlight and years of aging
To bring our flaws to the surface.
Because we were born old and dying.

When this is over we won’t bother
To call our loved ones just for the sake
Of not saying what we don’t mean.
There will be no more space between you and I
To say what we’ve been meaning to say
And do away with what’s too heavy
For us to take to our graves.
In the end you’ll have to claw your way
Through the arrogance and the imagery
So you can find my face.
And once I’m tired of this mask
I’ll have to scrape myself raw
Just to see who I really am.

Aderes18 said...

This is a beautiful piece of poetry, I think it's my fav of your poems so far! It's exqusite too!:)

This is what I always think, that no matter what happens in this world, everything recovers and we move on, we don't forget but we use our past mistakes to create a better future. This is what your poem reminded me of.  

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

hmm... 'better future'...'moving on'...i see.

WELL THANKS FOR COMMENTATING ON ALL NINEY'S!!!!

(clears throat) thank you very alot much. i thought this was The darkest but im glad you type otherwise. merci my dear.

Aderes18 replied...
You're very welcome. 

CarolynQ said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 11:31 am
Gotta say, I one hundred percent feel this piece. Very real and twisted and strangely perfect in a surreal, straight forward, and imperfect way. <3 Truely poetic.

Jun. 22, 2011 at 11:18 am
it took me forever to digest your words captain, im glad that i did. merci tres beacoup.

timevampire This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this. It has such a sick beauty as if  the last pedal of your life just hit the pavement. In black and white. You're gray and beauty.

i'm glad you feel that way captain. that means i've successfully painted a picture of what things will be like-when its over. i guess it does have that sort of hit-the-pavement vibe to.merci captain. here i come...

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wonderfully worded, my wickedly talented friend. I could barely picture your pen for the heat of it and the flames that it was engulfed by. I suppose you are a dragon, then. I was rather depressed reading this, but I loved the last four lines.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Please send me your heart in the mail; I would like to inspect it under a microscope.

Preferably by this Wednesday...

My dear darling, here is my heart of which you have requested. you seem to be amazed by such violent bloodfolw. do i dare remove the scars?

Why, so soon? Well, thanks. Indeed, I am amazed by it. Don't you dare remove those scars; you've lived a boring life if your heart hasn't collected a few. Cheers, Boo. I'll need to keep your heart for the time being.

you've inspired me captain to do my dancecaptain. i'd just love to dedicate something to you. do you mind if i use your name?

Oct. 10, 2010 at 11:32 am
I'd be lovin' that. I've been thinking of writing something in your honor also; you're quite a subject for poetry. My name? As in Thesilentraven?

well, yeah, so everybody knows who I'm talking about. whatever you like captain...

Oct. 11, 2010 at 11:24 am
You're the boss, my dear. Keep showin' us those pearly whites.

...(silence)...

Silence? How uncharacteristic of you!

alright then, here are the pearly whites you have requested. i do now ask back the tomato sauce and the somewhat tarnished ranch dressing.

Wonderful, wonderful. But I have no use whatsoever for tomato sauce and ranch dressing, unless of course I am painting a face made entirely out of food.

I think not.

well then, i also ask back the romantically suggestive boxes of chocolate, and the fruit tarts, the ones we laid our love upon. all that once lied between us now resides in an empty wooden frame and a dollar pack of lifesavers. i hope you're proud.