Truth

One man knows the truth
He knows what we're hiding
And that it must come out
He knows we'll all betray him
If he doesn't protect himself
That's why he carries the whip
Truth must prevail
Or we all drown in chaos
A little freedom is a small price
For the safety he can offer
The pain is only temporary
And it's for your own good

thepreechyteenager said...
The second half of the poem gives a sense of creepiness.  Bah da bah bah bah, I'm lovin' it.  It's very simple, but very powrful.  It give a sort of phycopath feel, but again, lovin' it.

apocalyptigirl said...
Stup.id computer censors. It would approve all my comments at once...oh well at least this boosts the discussion numbers for your article, haha...

apocalyptigirl said...
From the 1st 5 lines of the poem, I was expecting a very different man from the one you described. You seemed to paint the people as the bad guys in the first part, but then turned it around and made him that bad guy, and I'm not sure if that worked.

The-Mentalist This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
It's a metaphor for dictatorships as I've studied them. Especially Nero and Caligula.

apocalyptigirl replied...
Ah...well then, thinking of dictators who started out as "saviors" of the people and then turned into tyrants, this makes perfect sense.

apocalyptigirl replied...
Ah, i see...Now reading it makes me think of dic.tators who started out as "sav.iors" of the people and then turned into tyr.ants.

apocalyptigirl replied...
MY REPLY WON'T POST. I've been trying to say that now it makes me think of rulers who've started out benevolent and become t.y.rannical.

lovebug_again_ said...
nicee, that was really good. ofcourse, it was so very true.. id just maybe put in some punctuation. :) but anyway, good job!!!

I don't punctuate poems unless the punctuation adds to the poem. I don't think it would here.

smart_blonde said...
Cliched title, but the content is good. Interesting ideas...

Do you have any better ideas? Cliches are often popular for a reason.

(Do you have any better ideas though, I hate it)

A.Bekah.Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

it's an interesting concept...not sure i agree with it or not though...

curious as to to the identity of this man...

It's a lot of politicans and clergy, especially going back in history. It can become any man who holds power over another.

A.Bekah.Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

ooh i get it better now...

so it's a critique on society and power holders. i don't know if it's the title or what, but my first reading left me with a totally different, i guess point of view. its kind of hard to describe. like i was confused as to what was positive and what was negative. i think i'd change the title. truth seems (to me at least) like something positive, so i didn't really get the poem until now. obviously.

What did you get from it?

hm? the first or second time? or just in general...

there's a man (i did notice that it's a man, and not a woman.) who thinks he knows what everyone needs. and he will force everyone to do what he thinks needs to be done so that everyone gets what they need.

sorry that's kinda convoluted. oh so the first time i got the feeling that you were saying this was a good thing, but now i feel like you're saying its not. so. yup.

I have a double, maybe even a triple meaning.

lovely. now i have to find all the meanings. or maybe not. there are probably millions of meanings. for different people. that's the fun of good poetry. no definite meanings.

mmm. lets find another. like it's a really complex word search. OH. the man's really like some all-knowing, judging deity.

or he's fighting against the corruptness of humanity.

or it's about a man fighting for what he believes in. and he just happens to believe drastically different things from ... (more »)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 1:28 am
This is very interesting.... I love the twist at the end. Great job.