You Smile

You smile
At me,
Each step bringing you closer.

I think
To myself:
Remain calm 'til its over.

(But) Your smile
Is like
A cue for the butterflies.

Anxious hopes
all aflutter,
Driving into my sides.

You reach
The truck's window;
Make dark night bright as day.

We chat
About nothing
Til there's everything to say.

My nerve
Is fading,
Confidence slips away.

Too perfect
For me,
My plans start to fray.

But then.
You lean -
Looking as nervous as I feel.

So I lean
To the right -
When my lips touch yours, it all becomes real.

My fingers
On the nape of your neck
In your soft hair so black.

Your hand
Tightening comfortably
On my shoulder and back.

We pull
Ourselves apart,
And I wonder what you're thinking.

And you,
Of course,
Do the perfect thing.

My nerves
Rushing back -
but you make them disappear, when

You smile.

alanacarlene said...
This is really good I can just picture it! Is this about the same guy in your Summer Lovin' ?

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
:) Yes.  

ellyn-bo-bellyn_2014 said...
wow.. I feel all in the loop on this one... It's great. flawless!! how do you write such amazing poetry???? :P

I'll admit, its not easy to write this amazingly :P Just kidding. But really, its not :P Thanks Elly! :))))

ellyn-bo-bellyn_2014 replied...

don't I know it!!! Haha

I love all your work! Keep it up! Get more stuff posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

xoxo!

Olajide said...
this is really heartwarming. It is light, simple, and the word coice adds more to the beauty of te poem. Nice work

Thanks! Your comment means a lot :)

Jandee said...
Hmm... the breakdown of the lines is very unusual. Some of the lines flow really well, while others could use some improvement. Overall, I like it.

Yeah, I know what you mean :/ I've edited it since it got approval so it flows better, but thank you for the comment!

chipsandguacamollie said...
When I started reading this, I didn't think I liked the choppy line breaks, but as I read further I started liking them more.  It's an interesting style, and the broken sentences add emphasis.  Some of the rhymes are a little forced, but I think it's originality and style is great.  Well done!

Thanks :) I've edited it since it was posted, and the rewrite flows better and isn't as forced :/Thanks for the comment!

DaddyzUnwantedDolly said...
This reminds me of a past boyfriend I had that got away, I really liked this... My stuf is usually a tad gruesome- I like your way of interpretting the words.

Thanks so much...And it seems like my guy is getting away too :/ Anyway, your comment means a lot!