The Woman in the Well | Teen Ink

The Woman in the Well

By maeeee BRONZE, Sun City, California
maeeee BRONZE, Sun City, California

"I want to taste and glory in each day, and never be afraid to experience pain; and never shut myself up in a numb core of nonfeeling, or stop questioning and criticizing life and take the easy way out. To learn and think: to think and live; to live and learn: this always, with new insight, new understanding, and new love." -Sylvia Plath

The woman in the well spent her days surrounded by the hopes of others

Dreams dropped down like ashes from the light abyss above, only to smother her like a clould.

Day and night she was bombarded with prayers and pleas of those living on the outside.

Did they not see her entrapped in the stone dungeon in which they placed their trust?

Did they not see her pale complexion slowly dissipate with each word they muttered?

She fought to escape and yearned to breathe in the life only found outside her cold fortress.

Each wish and thought slowly weakened her mind and stole away at her body.

She began to accept the life she had grown to know and with that acceptance came defeat.

As the days followed, the woman in the well watched life swirl above her like a light show, imagining the angels that flew overhead.

She toiled over the wishes shot down to her in hopes that they would lift her from the prison she called home.

After years of laboring, one ordinary day, the woman in the well vanished all together.

She spent her whole life looking up in search of a way out, only to leave her crushed by her own failures.

The woman in the well died in vain. She traded her own happiness for the wishes of strangers.

She believed that the ambitions of others could save her but in reality they led to her utter destruction.

All the woman in the woman in the well needed was a dream of her own. A dream to deliever her from the ashes.

Tyra J. said...
on Aug. 13 2010 at 10:58 am
can you check out my poems

maeeee BRONZE said...
maeeee BRONZE, Sun City, California

thank you :)

maeeee BRONZE said...
maeeee BRONZE, Sun City, California

thank you! :)

Sencere BRONZE said...
Sencere BRONZE, Annapolis, Maryland

Why am I fighting to live, when I'm just living to fight. Why am I trying to see when there ain't nothing in sight. Why am I trying to give when no one gives me a try. Why am I dying to live, when I'm just living to die.

amazing 5 stars

TechieForLife GOLD, West St. Paul, Minnesota

Live each day like it is the day you will be remembered.

That. That was sad. It made me think... Wow. Keep writing.