The Main Attraction

Step right up for the main attraction
Sure to fill your satisfaction
Get close now, the time is near
And hold on to your hearts so dear

Two faces stand before the crowd
Neither one who have allowed
The fearsome beast to come through
The ring of fire
The heart of fire
The death in fire
Which is in you

Two faces stand before the beast
On both of which the beast shall feast
Yet only one holds the answer
To the riddle
Deadly riddle
Lovely riddle
Of the fire

Paces back and forth does
The beast who can't decide because
The masks each wear confuse the mind
Which one to choose?
Which meal to choose?
Which heart to choose?
This it can't find

Masks tormenting, masks of glee
Swirling round till it can't see
Screams the beast with cries of pain
Death to love!
Curse the love!
Pain to love!
Over and again

Twirling, spinning, round and round
The beast is forced into the ground
Howling for what can never be
Spins the riddle
Turns the riddle
Swirls the riddle
Never free

"To whose love and hate be given
The heart must choose between the two
Only one can make whole again
Yet the other's love is true"

Screaming, howling, mourns the beast
The ring of fire fails to cease
The spinning faces ever burning
Which is love?
Where is love?
Why is love?
Forever turning...

Step up for the main attraction
Sure to fill your satisfaction
Listen close, the time is near
Whose heart will you choose to bear?

Boosflash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 11:31 am
Hi, this is Boosflash's mom.  I simply had to comment on your work of art in the form of words.  You are a true "poet".  You have an amazing talent and I hope you realize one of dreams through your poetry.  I said all of that to say...YOU ROCK!

DreamWriter15 replied...
Oh...well....thank you, very much, haha....I do hope that I can turn my dream into reality through writing, so that means a lot to me.  Thank you, Boosmom! :-)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very nice poem; I think I finally worked out the metaphor after I read several comments. For some reason, I felt severely depressed after reading this. I think this has to do somewhat with my fear of circuses.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Aug. 10, 2010 at 11:14 am
Well, I've never been to a circus before, but I thought the metaphor was close to the real thing....and I'm sorry if it depressed you, but it's not exactly a happy poem.  Thank you for your comment!

its so freaky the way that pic matches the poem.

DreamWriter15 replied...
I know, right?  I saw that and I was like "Whoa....Teen Ink's reading my mind..."  It's awesome.

Boosflash This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
never happens captain. it really emphasizes the "okay....." that you get from reading the poem.

DreamWriter15 replied...
I like the "okay..."

Aug. 1, 2010 at 9:48 am
moi aussi.

very very nice captain. you really did your dance on the monkey. i like the title and the eccentric and crazy concept and the ryhming scheme and how the begining matches the ending and how you did your dance on the monkey. 5 stars.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Haha, thank you, I think it's the first a actual symbolic poem I've written that actually has something to do with something that's happened to me, besides the Different Song one.  And Shattered Glass.  I really appreciate you comment!  :-)

now it seems like you were in a circus about to get eaten by something,..but you...fell in love?...

DreamWriter15 replied...
It's sort of like the circus IS the love.  And figuratively speaking, I am the beast.  

Aug. 1, 2010 at 9:49 am
oh, a circus! i was thinking like the colloseum where you battle the lion...

DreamWriter15 replied...
or that......................

DreamWriter15 replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 6:19 am
"The Main Attraction" is actually a literal term as well as the title to a figurative poem.

noooooooooo captain. where does it take place? where does it takew place? where where does it does it. take take take . place where does it . take place.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Attraction as in a literal attraction, the point of the poem is that I don't know which one IS the main attraction.

Aug. 4, 2010 at 10:27 am
which what?

DreamWriter15 replied...
Which mask (meal) whatever.