The strangest dream

There hangs a skillfully carved
Crescent of a moon upon
A silver string that is tied off
Somewhere beyond that place
Where wretched reality stops and
The essence of a dream begins
Where the invisible forms
Of wistful giants stroll around the
Vibrant center of the universe

The moon floats in a
Frozen lake of solitude
Like a crystal eye that keeps
Vigil before the darkness
Its chalky face is glistening
Not marred like ours
Save for the etchings of words
That were spoken at the moment
When the somber director signaled
For time to begin

Cynical crows laugh sardonically
And fly at the atmosphere
And bicentennial trees reach down
Half-heartedly with their roots
And hooded spirits pace through
Fields of paper flowers
And what's left of life drips
Slowly into an endless chasm

There is a forgotten station
That is fading away
Bombarded by celestially tragic
Drops of rain
It sends off weeping trains that
Leave red petals in their wake
Each one disappearing into
That unreachable horizon

From a good walking distance
Away from that world
It has a mien that resembles
Sadly true philosophy

For although a circle of dreams
Is the most beautiful
It can even bring a crystal tear
To the sober seraph's eye

For places like this place
For dreams like this dream
It is with regret and
With a retired sigh
That one must give
His heartfelt goodbye

chrisbriones said...

This one has left me speechless. What comes to my mind however is the disgusting superficiality of...well i don't know exactly. I cannot pin it. It's as if your poem is void of a bottom, that which i cannot reach no matter how much i claw.

Could you please share with me what you were thinking when you wrote this? What inspired it, you thoughts, etc. But do not tell me your intentions beneath the lines, for i wish to venture that on my own.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 5:26 pm :
What I was thinking? To share what I was thinking would be to tell you my intent. But what I was imagining... ah, that is a different matter. I rarely receive genuine inspiration with ease, but this image came to my mind magically. Wait a moment...

Aug. 30, 2010 at 5:30 pm :
This piece is more of a description of a vision, and the meaning merely tails behind the picture. I intended to send the reader's mind through bouts of beautiful unreality. Sorry if it caused you to deal with 'disgusting superficiality.' But thanks for commenting.

chrisbriones replied...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 11:51 pm :
Ah, i see ive looked too deep into it.

Sept. 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm :
No, you certainly have not. As I have forgotten to say, I have merely written the words. What your heart tells you they mean is the true meaning of the poem. Images are deep, for they tell stories and all stories have meanings.

ShytoyaB said...
i love the image your poem creates...great job

Aug. 11, 2010 at 5:20 pm :
I'm flattered.

bkcrider92 said...
Wow this is really powerful! I really saw the image in my head while reading this. Very good job, I really enjoyed this =) and thank you for commenting on mine again it means a lot to me <3

Aug. 9, 2010 at 8:05 pm :
Thank you very much.

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
well, since we're naming paragraphs I love the fourth to last. and i like the fact that our faces are marred. its amazing how much people can love your stuff even when they dont know what you're saying. i love you captian. 5 stars.

Aug. 23, 2010 at 8:45 pm :
Why, thank you very much Boosflash! To tell you the truth, I barely understand what I'm writing; therefore, it is unfair for me to condemn my readers for doing so. I confess myself intimidated by 'i love you captain' but appreciate the comment.

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 23, 2010 at 10:30 pm :
i haven't the slightest idea to what some of my stuff means. so if somebody else can figure out what's going on, then I'll say "you know what? that's exactly it captain". but i suppose what you said is good since I didnt under -stand anyway. someone told me my smiley face was intimidating, but about the I love you's-I had no idea.

moonpetal said...
All of your word makes me speachless wow. That was reeeeaaallllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy awesome. Wow. I love the 3rd and 4th paragraphs. Wow. So perfect.

Aug. 9, 2010 at 1:44 pm :
I thank you sincerely.

Francesca said...
Wow, this is amazing. It's much better than what I write.

Aug. 9, 2010 at 1:45 pm :
Thanks for commenting!

TerraTAZz said...
Aug. 6, 2010 at 6:25 am:
Love this poem! It is so describtivee:) Your giftedd keepp writingg

matticus said...
Awesome. I really enjoyed reading this. What inspired you to write it?

Aug. 6, 2010 at 9:27 am :
Thanks! I had to write a poem for art and this image suddenly came to my mind while I was thinking of poem topics. I decided that free verse would give me as much freedom to describe it as possible.

misssabrina said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 7:20 pm:
I could feel your emotion in this piece, it was written very beautifully. I enjoyed reading it, and look forward to reading more of your work.